Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Repeatable field group is not shown in backend after installing WPML

This support ticket is created 4 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marcB-6 4 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author
Schermafbeelding 2020-01-06 om 05.44.29.png

I am trying to:
Create a post (steps) that contains a repeatable fieldgroup in Italian after I installed WPML.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
See screenshot.

I expected to see:
A button that says: 'add first single step'.

Instead, I got:
No option to add a new 'single step'.

It makes no difference when i switch the translation options (translatable/appear as translatable).
I tried deactivating all plugins + switching theme.

Can you please help?

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

A repeatable field group is assigned to only one specific post type.

To make a repeatable field group translatable you need to set this post type to display translations if they exist or fallback to the default language.

To do this, go to the WPML −> Translation Management page, click the Multilingual Content Setup tab, and scroll to the Post Types Translation section. Here, select the "Translatable—use translation if available or fallback to default language" option for the post type that the repeatable field group is assigned to.

More info:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/translating-sites-built-with-toolset/translating-repeatable-field-groups/#translation-settings-for-repeatable-field-groups

Schermafbeelding 2020-01-06 om 06.31.46.png
Schermafbeelding 2020-01-06 om 06.31.21.png

Hi Minesh,
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried changing the setting. A few things about that:
- I don't see the extra info in the setting screen (see screenshot).
- After switching the setting i still cannot add a new single step (also in a new item in this language).
Can you please assist? If you want, i can provide you with the creds (please make next post private).
Thanks!
Marc

Minesh
Supporter

Sure.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please add and activate the WPML translation management plugin on your site and let me know if it works?

I added it just now and i still see the same error.

On top of that I would preferably not add the translation management. It's making things visually complicated and WPML states it's only helpful if you work with more people on the translations.
Is it necessary for Toolset repeatable field groups to work?

By the way, you can check it now, it's still installed.

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please check now: hidden link

You need to save the translated post and after that, the repeating field group items will be shown for translation.

I try to replicate your solution; however i still have the issue. I follow these steps:
1. I go to the steps overview in backend in EN site.
2. I click pencil to create an Italian version of this post.
3. I save the post, but the fields are not available.
4. See here: hidden link
Can you explain the exact steps to follow?
Thanks!
Marc

Minesh
Supporter

As the notice says;

Translation mode active. In this mode you can only translate existing items. To add, delete or sort items of Single step switch to the default language.

I switch to the English language and editing the post:
=> hidden link
- Where I have added the new entry for Repeating field group and saved the post

Then, I switch to the Italian language and I can see the repeating field group entry to translate.
=> hidden link

As the notice sasy: To add, delete or sort items of Single step switch to the default language.
That means, if you want to add new entry, delete entry or want to sort it, you should always be on English, your default language from where you should add repeating field group entries and then switch to the other add on languages to translate it.

Ah sorry. I saw what went wrong. It works like a charm. I disabled translation management and it seems to work fine as well.

Have a good day and thanks again Minesh!
Marc

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.