Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Reorder Field Groups

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to re-order how Field Groups appear on post edit screens?

Solution:
Go to edit a post and then drag and drop the Field Group metaboxes into the required order. The order will be saved and used for *all* posts.

0% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created 7 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by tylerG 7 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to: Change the order of the field groups

Is there no way to have groups be in the order i want rather than just the reverse order I created them???

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Chris

Are you referring to how they appear on a post edit screen?

If you edit a post with these field groups assigned, you can simply drag and drop the field groups into the order required and save the post. When you add or edit other posts they will see the field group meta boxes in the same sequence.

But what a terrible thing for a user -- i can't hand off to a client and say "You need to drag and drop all these groups around every time". That is not "simple".

If Toolset doesn't support ordering those then that needs to be added.

Nigel
Supporter

I don't understand what you mean by "every time", it only has to be done once.

Can you elaborate on the use case. It might be something that we can make a feature request out of, but that depends on what exactly you are asking for.

What you were saying is that when you go into a page to create content you can re-order the field groups then. (meaning there is no higher level template way to make sure every time that type is created that they are in the right order?)

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Chris

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but let me re-state: when you add or edit other posts they will see the field group meta boxes in the same sequence.

Re-order the post field meta boxes once and it will be reflected in all of the other posts of that type that you edit, or if you publish new posts of that type they will also preserve the order of the Post Field Groups.

What i was thinking that if a "Sort Order" field could be added to groups or something so I could put in 1, 2, 3, 4 that they would appear on the custom post type.

Ah ok -- if that is the case then not so bad. Still wish it could be done before the content screen but if only done once then ok.

Nigel
Supporter

I would suggest making a feature request of this, but I think it would be low priority because it is possible as described, and because you may be using your Custom Field Groups on only a single post type, but others may use some of the same Field Groups on different posts types, which would very much complicate assigning a numeric order to them.

I'd actually love to see this feature, too. Maybe it could be like the z-index attribute where the highest number is shown at the top.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.