Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Relationshop to allow Multiple Authors/Editors to view/edit Single Post

This support ticket is created 3 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by AlimB3245 3 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?I have created a Custom Post Type and every post would have an author.. and this author would be able to view or edit the particular post as basically the user/author would be the owner.. now I want this ownership to be shared with another use for that particular post.. so I assumed that GUEST AUTHOR (via the simple author plugin) would work.. but it doesn't.. the guest author cannot view or edit the post.. I don't think he can even list it as his own.. how do I make this work? Or is not possible? please advise... Basically when the user logs in to to a my-account page, his own custom post is listed which he can edit.. I want another user to be the sub user for this post so that he too can access this post and edit..

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

My apologies for this post.. but I think I had already asked for this earlier and Luo Yang had suggested a workaround...

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/if-a-post-has-2-authors-guest-author-from-simple-author-plugin-can-both-edit/

Is this the right way to do it?

I haven't really tried it but I will.. but please do confirm this one particular point, if possible

2) Setup many-to-many relationship between "my-cpt" and "Members", connect "Members" post with other "my-cpt" posts

In this case is it that Luo was allowing many members to be able to edit many posts? I would want that if a member is able to edit one post, he shouldn't be able to edit another.. so one post could have multiple authors but the same author could not edit another post? Would it still require a many to many relationship between the 'my-cpt' and 'Members' in the above suggestion?

Please do advise.

Regards,
Alim

Hello, the suggestion made by Luo requires a many-to-many relationship because it assumes each User can be the author of more than one post in your custom post type. It is best to use a many-to-many relationship here in case you ever decide to allow authors to create more than one post. However, it is not required to use a many-to-many relationship. If you do not ever plan to allow authors to create more than one post, you could use a one-to-many relationship between your custom post type and the Members post type. However, please be aware that you cannot change your mind later and use the same relationship to allow a User to create more than one post - this is not flexible later. For that reason, I strongly suggest you use a many-to-many relationship. Using a many-to-many relationship here does not mean each author can edit other authors' posts, it means that you have the option to allow each author to create more than one post, and the author will be able to edit all of his or her posts later. I hope this helps clarify things.

This is an example of using a proxy post type to represent Users, as described in the following documentation: https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/how-to-create-custom-searches-and-relationships-for-users/
When you use a proxy post type to represent Users, you have the ability to create custom searches for Users, and to implement post relationships between Users and posts.

Let me know if you have questions about that.

Hi Christian

Thanks for the update.. :-)..

I couldn't try this out as I had a couple of issues with Toolset..
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/new-access-update-causes-site-to-crash/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/unresponsive-and-stick-field-group/

Still waiting for Luo Yang to resolve the issue before I can try anything on Toolset.. as most fields are not getting saved.

Regards,
Alim

I'll continue to stand by. The Access issue should be resolved in version 2.8.7, which was released early yesterday morning.

Hi Christian

Thanks for standing by..:-).. I am planning to do this soon.. had a few other issues..

Also I was thinking of connecting each user to multiple custom posts.. like My Stores, My Articles and so on.. hopefully it shouldn't get too complicated.. will try soon and get back to you on this.

Have a nice day..:-)..

Regards,
Alim

Hi Christian

I might not try this very soon.. so doesn't feel right to keep the ticket open..;-)..

"Cross the bridge when we get there" is the approach I'd like to take for now.. for now I am happy with one user editing his own post.. when the need arises for this I'll revisit and try it.. for now, knowing that it's possible is good enough.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Have a nice day..:-)..
Regards,
Alim

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.