Skip Navigation

[Resolved] read more link in excerpt using blocks

This support ticket is created 3 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by malagaS 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do? link the elipses or a read more link at the end of an excerpt when using blocks

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thanks for asking! I'd be happy to help.

From the code, it seems that the view is using a "Single Field" block to show the post's excerpt.

This block offers controls for the length of the excerpt text as well as for changing the ellipsis text ( screenshot: hidden link ), but it doesn't support an inline "read more" link.

For a "read more" link, you can add a Toolset's "Button" block below the excerpt and use the "Dynamic Button URL" option to link it to the post's URL.
( screenshot: hidden link )

Alternatively, if you'd prefer an inline read more link, you can remove the "Single Field" block for the excerpt and instead add a "Fields and Text" block and then insert shortcodes for the post excerpt ( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#wpv-post-excerpt ) and the read more link ( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#wpv-post-read-more ):

[wpv-post-excerpt length="6" count="word" format="noautop"] [wpv-post-read-more label="read more"]

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

that worked, thanks. how do i edit a shortcode after it's in the block? the only thing i can find is to delete and start over but i just want to edit part of the code.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

fields-and-text-block.png

Thanks for the update and glad that it worked.

If you're having difficulty in editing the content in a "Fields and Text" block through the visual mode, you can switch to the HTML mode, as shown in the attached screenshot.

That's what I tried but it was empty. Then switching back again the content was still there. Just no way to edit.

Hello,

I have tried it in my localhost with fresh WP installation + the latest version of Toolset plugins, it works fine.
After switch to HTML editor or visual editor in the "Fields and Text" block, both can display those shortcodes correctly:

[wpv-post-excerpt length="6" count="word" format="noautop"] [wpv-post-read-more label="read more"]

I don't see the problem you mentioned above:
it was empty

Are we talking about a content template?
If it is, please edit that content template, in the top, find option "View with", choose a post which have post excerpt setting, and test again.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.