Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Product categories dropdown in archive only shows current category

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The Product Category filter in a Product Category archive only contains the current Product Category. I would like to let my Users browse other Product Category archives.

Solution: If you go to a product-category archive, then try to filter by another archive term...it's no longer the same archive. So you won't see other product-category terms appear in this filter, by design. If you'd like to change that behavior, you have two options:
- Create a custom search View filtered by this taxonomy, and place this View in the Loop Output editor of your WordPress Archive, just above the wpv-loop tags. Remove everything from inside the wpv-loop tags of the WP Archive. This option has its own challenges, because it's not simple to select the correct filter option when the page first loads.
- Use custom code to build a select element that includes options for each category, and use custom JavaScript to navigate to another product category archive when the user selects something in the select field. It's not a true filter, it's just a navigation element. Another ticket describes how this might be created: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/create-a-category-jump-menu/#post-347585

This support ticket is created 5 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Clay 5 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to: Make a dropdown menu in my category archive view so that users can jump to other categories

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: a dropdown menu of all product categories

Instead, I got: a dropdown showing only the current category

Yes, this is part of the logic of the system. If you go to a product-category archive, then try to filter by another archive term...it's no longer the same archive. So you won't see other product-category terms appear in this filter, by design. If you'd like to change that behavior, you have two options:
- Create a custom search View filtered by this taxonomy, and place this View in the Loop Output editor of your WordPress Archive, just above the wpv-loop tags. Remove everything from inside the wpv-loop tags of the WP Archive. This option has its own challenges, because it's not simple to select the correct filter option when the page first loads.
- Use custom code to build a select element that includes options for each category, and use custom JavaScript to navigate to another product category archive when the user selects something in the select field. It's not a true filter, it's just a navigation element. Another ticket describes how this might be created: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/create-a-category-jump-menu/#post-347585

That all makes sense. Thanks.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.