Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Problems with archive views since last update

This support ticket is created 4 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by timM-9 4 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hello!

Since the last recent Toolset update i'm having a problem with my archive views. It is not filtering the posts by the current archive page, but shows all posts. If I try to change the filtering of the view and click 'edit' the filter seems to delete itself.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,
Tim

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Reading your question it sounds like the problem is with a View you inserted into an archive, rather than with the archive itself, is that correct?

I'd need to see the problem to understand it better.

Can I get site credentials from you to look?

I will mark your next reply as private so that I can get log-in credentials from you—you may want to create a temporary admin user for me to use that you can later delete. And be sure to have a current backup of your site.

Can you also confirm where I can see the problem.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Tim

When I use the debug info I can see that no taxonomy query is being applied to the View for some reason.

If I edit your View and update the Query Filter to apply a specific term set manually (instead of inferred from the archive) it still doesn't work.

I tested on my own site and it works as expected, so there appears to be a problem specific to your site.

Do you have a staging site to do some simple tests?

Can you disable all non-Toolset plugins and switch theme to twentynineteen or twentytwenty and see if the problem is resolved? If so you should be able to identify the source of any conflict by a process of elimination.

Let me know what you find.

I do note, though, that you are not really doing this correctly.

You are on an archive page, which means WordPress running the related archive query. You are not using those results at all, even though the query is run, and then you are running a second query (your View) which is essentially the same.

The correct way to do this would be to delete your View from the Layout for this archive and instead insert an archive cell.

You'll recognise it as being virtually the same as a View, and you can even copy and paste the output from the View to the archive.

The archive cell won't need a Query Filter for the category because it is already based upon the built-in WordPress query for the archive.

Perfect, thank you very much.

I've replached the view with an archive cell, and now the archives are working correctly. 🙂

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.