Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Problem with conditional, editor sidebar hidden, unable to add space after field

This support ticket is created 4 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by davidM-17 4 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to create a single content template for a CPT.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: See the video link

I expected to see:

1) I created a checkbox called "Favorite" and using the conditional, if it was checked then I wanted to show a heart. Instead nothing showed. It could be that I didn't use the conditional correctly. If that is the case then please add a video to the page:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-toolset-plugins-work-with-gutenberg/

2) After previewing the template and returning to the editor, the options sidebar was hidden.

3) When using the TB Fields and Text Block, after you select a field then you cannot use the space bar to add a space before adding more text. In the video, the flickering is me adding a space. I was able to add a | character, backspace, and add a space, but that is just a work-around.

hidden link

When trying to create a Content Template for the Archive, I noticed that:

1) The TB Heading Block didn't have the option to use Post Title with Link

2) The TB Single Field block, when Excerpt was selected, didn't produce any output (excerpt was not explicitly set) and the Post Content (body) field didn't give an option for the number of words for using it for the Excerpt.

Thanks!

1) I created a checkbox called "Favorite"
It's best not to use the option "save 0 to the database" because we have found it causes problems with custom searches. I recommend you choose "save nothing to the database" and then resave the post in wp-admin to reset the custom field value correctly. I think the conditional was used correctly, but the values were set incorrectly in the post and the field group editor. Let me know if that doesn't resolve the issue and I can take another look.

2) After previewing the template and returning to the editor, the options sidebar was hidden.
I'm not sure I understand the problem. The options sidebar was hidden until you turned it on. Check the video at -2:35, before you test it on the front-end. The options sidebar is first turned on around -1:35. Then the template is tested again and at -1:09 you return to the editor. The options sidebar is still visible.

3) When using the TB Fields and Text Block, after you select a field then you cannot use the space bar to add a space before adding more text.
Okay I see this as well, I'm reporting the issue to our team.

4) The TB Heading Block didn't have the option to use Post Title with Link
I see this, looks like the TB Single Field Block doesn't have the option either. I'm reporting the issue to the team.

5) The TB Single Field block, when Excerpt was selected, didn't produce any output (excerpt was not explicitly set)
Got it, I'm reporting this one to the team.

6) and the Post Content (body) field didn't give an option for the number of words for using it for the Excerpt.
I'm not sure this is an error or omission, since the old wpv-post-body shortcode didn't support this either: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes/#wpv-post-body

Hi Christian,

1) I followed your directions and it worked fine. Thanks.

2) There are a lot of settings on that sidebar. I suggest that it be open by default when someone goes in to create a Content Template as they will need it ... assuming that is possible.

3, 4, 5 - Great thanks.

6. The excerpt is the key. I just tried the Post Content when the excerpt didn't work. Thanks.

7. Something else I noticed. I'm not sure what you can do, but when you are creating the Content Template from the View editor (such as for an archive), the editor opens in a new window and there is no link to go back when one is done. It is a bit disconcerting. I think I saw that before when using Beaver Builder for that purpose. It was confusing then as well. If there cannot be a link back, then perhaps a message when the window is first opened?

Thanks for taking a look. I think this is a great step forward.

Regards,

David

2) There are a lot of settings on that sidebar. I suggest that it be open by default when someone goes in to create a Content Template as they will need it ... assuming that is possible.
Agreed, and every time I create a new template the sidebar is open in my local tests. Every time I edit an existing template, the settings that were chosen when I last updated the template are respected. In other words, I can't see the problem. If you can create a video showing the issue I'll take a closer look - the current video starts after the template has been created and saved at least once, so I can't see the initial state of the sidebar.

the editor opens in a new window and there is no link to go back when one is done.
So are you saying you would prefer:
- The system forces you to save the archive before you can use the Block Editor to design the template, and no new window is opened, or
- The new block editor window makes it more obvious how to return to the archive editor.

Hi Christian,

2) I'm not able to reproduce opening the editor page with the setting sidebar closed ... so please disregard.

The 2nd option. "The new block editor window makes it more obvious how to return to the archive editor."

Thank you,

David

Thanks, I'll pass that request along to the team.

Regarding the space issue, it seems this is a problem in one of the components used by WordPress, TinyMCE:
hidden link
It seems to be known to them, and the solutions they have presented so far have not solved the problem completely. Once the problem is resolved in TinyMCE, then WordPress has to adopt the new version. So for the foreseeable future, the workaround you described is best in Chrome.

These should be fixed in the most recent Blocks and WP/TinyMCE releases.

The excerpt block should be working now, but adding the word count is still pending.

Thanks again for the reports!

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.