Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Prevent content repeating when editing content using an edit form on front end

This support ticket is created 4 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by andrewB-7 4 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 19.12.00.png

Hi there, I hope you can help.

I've successfully created front end edit forms, and I am able to allow users to edit their content from the front end.

However, When they click the link to "edit this post" and are taken to the page to do that, as well as the form for them to make their edits, they also see the content of the post. So they see everything twice, which is confusing. See example screenshot. You get the title and then the form and then all of the content as it was.

Can you please tell me how this can be avoided? Many thanks,
Andrew.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Andrew,

This could perhaps be caused by the theme because this issue was actually fixed numerous times.

Would you mind allowing me to have admin access to the site as well as a link to the form to see exactly what is happening here.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Unfortunately in this case, I can't, as the site is in local development.

Are there any key things you can advise me to look for, which might help me to get to the bottom of it and fix the issue?

Many thanks again for your time,
Andrew.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Could you send me a copy of the site ?
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

You can follow the instructions in the link above to provide the copy.

I suspect that we can just hide this with css based on what I find.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I am going to try and move a copy of this onto a live staging site so you could view it there. What hours is support available over the weekend?

I can hide it with CSS myself, as I know how to do that. I would prefer however to have an actual fix for the issue if possible.

Many thanks again,
Andrew.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Yes move it to a live server so that I can have a look.

I'm actually not available on the weekends for support.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Any updates on this one ?

I've enabled the private fields so that you can provide the information once you've set this up on a live server.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Any updates on this one ?

I've enabled the private fields so that you can provide the information once you've set this up on a live server.

Thanks,
Shane

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 16.49.45.png

Hi, I'm trying to make the same setup on a staging site you can access. Now I can't even create the content template! Ia m getting this message up whenever I try...but I'm IN THE CONTENT TEMPLATE, clicking the the Toolset Forms > Edit Post Link dialogue.

Honestly this is driving me mad. I used to do this regularly following through your old documentation Your new docs are full of gaps, it's awful to follow.

Screen-Shot-2019-08-28-at-16.58.35.jpg

Okay, I have managed to get around that hiccup posted in the last hour or so, above.

SO I am not back to the repeating content issue described above.

Look at this screenshot (it is zoomed far out to get everything on)

We have the edit form appear on the page, with all of the content to edit, as well as the actual content itself (well, apart from the actual post content field, which isn't repeated for some reason.

HELP, please.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

I would like to check this out for you.

The private fields have been enabled for this.

Could you also send me link to the page with the form as well ?

Thanks,
Shane

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

I know this page was built with an AE Layout, however I'm not able to find the layout that this page was built with.

However I do suspect that this is the cause of the issue.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

No, it wasn't built with AE.

That page is built in Elementor, which Toolset works with.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

OK I see the issue now.

So its because how our content template works is that it replaces the post content area in order to display the form.

Now on your template you can see that it does replace the post content area that you've added with the Elementor post content widget, however the other items are not apart of this post content area. This is why this area is still there even though the form is being displayed.

The best way to do solve this is to add some css to the form itself to hide this area after the form is loaded.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Is that really the only way? Is there no code that can do it?

Can you see the CSS of the page? The container is a generic elementor one, so if I hide that, then i hide all elements on the page.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.