Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Post type taxonomy filter

This support ticket is created 5 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Louis-Philippe 5 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

*** Tell us what you are trying to do? ***
I have a list of post ( projects ) that are display with pagination ( 6 projects by page )

I'd like to filter those project from a taxonomy ( project type ) with a list of those tag as button that search all page content and refresh as soon as I click on it.

I manage to do it but I need add ALL projects + being able to move it to another view and still filtering the projects.
Also, the speed of it seems so slow that the user may not know that it's working, is there a workeround for that too?

*** Is there a similar example that we can see? ***
hidden link
left part of the page

*** What is the link to your site? ***
hidden link

I am not sure to understand the query.

I see that you have a View here: hidden link (View with ID 112)
That View updates its results by AJAX and it seems you customized the Filter so to look like several buttons.

That is originally a radio buttons filter in Views and Custom CSS (eventually JS) is applied on this View to make it look like it does now.

I am not sure what you mean by "I need add ALL projects + being able to move it to another view and still filtering the projects"

1. All Projects (that is the post type) can be included by simply applying no restrictions to the items to be displayed in this View.
(In The View, find the Offset and Limit sections and set them to none).
That will query all posts in the type "Projects".
2. Pagination determines how many items per page are displayed, so you can query ALL posts but display just 6 EACH page.
3. If you want a second View like this, you can duplicate this first View, in Toolset > Views > your_view > Duplicate.
Then, alter it so to match your expectations. Now you have 2 Views doing the "same".
4. The speed cannot be brought much further down.

I will explain this in detail:
- Views can take a while to fetch the first set of results and cache it
- this results in slightly longer loading time when you paginate the first time (or search) on a View that uses the cache.
- this is because it is caching the query results and on your second query (for example second click on next page) things are loaded already (depending on the settings you made in the Views Cache options) and can hence move faster.

However, there is no method to accelerate the first response of an AJAX View (or URL updating View).
Those things are mostly bound to your server, WordPress itself, ISP and then amount of things queried, displayed and stored.
If you want to try improving it, you can consult these DOC's as well:
https://toolset.com/faq/working-with-caching-plugins/
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/cred-and-views-caching/#post-468967
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/front-page-filters/how-to-use-views-parametric-search-on-large-sites/

Please let me know if this helps to move further with your work and if this answers the questions you had.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.