Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Post reference field in post form with WPML

This support ticket is created 4 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Author

Hi Toolset,

I don't know exactly why, but my post reference fields on the post form act differently when change the language with WPML or change role. Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks,
Menno

May I have admin login credentials so I can check this out in wp-admin?

The page hidden link even gives a message about it 'Post reference fields can only be managed in the standard language' at the field. Why can't post reference fields not be used i other languages?

Let me get the latest information about this from my team. I wasn't completely aware it works this way, but I am aware that post relationships are only managed in the default language and you cannot connect posts that do not have a default language version: https://toolset.com/documentation/translating-sites-built-with-toolset/translating-related-content/. Since post reference fields are technically implemented as post relationships, it would make sense that they cannot be managed in a secondary language. Let me ask for a definite answer and I will let you know what I find out as soon as I can.

Ok. Thanks. What's the reason why posts of a secondary language cannot be connected? If i have a Dutch visitor who wants to create a Dutch post with post relations in the post form, he should create a English version first and then translate it to Dutch? That's a nice user experience.. :p

Okay my 2nd tier team followed up and gave me some additional information here. My suspicion was confirmed, in that post reference fields are technically implemented as post relationships. We created the translation mechanism between WPML and Types so that we can automatically show connected posts when translated. However, the case where different content is created in different languages was not handled, nor is the case where content does not exist in the default language. There is an internal ticket in place for adding this feature, but it is not currently under development. If you'd like to see that feature prioritized, please submit it as a feature request here: https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.