Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Post form is not showing image upload preview and 1 other question

This support ticket is created 4 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 4 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
new.PNG
old.PNG

I just updated to the latest versions of Forms, Types, and Views from a fairly old version and two things broke/changed that I have a question about.

Question 1:
Previously when adding a featured image you'd see a preview even before submitting the post but after upgrading this is no longer the case. Please see the attached pictures. "old.png" is before upgrading and "new.png" is after upgrading ... as you can see there is an image preview even before submitting the post.

A support topic here: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/form-is-not-showing-image-upload-preview/ says that "Files that have not been uploaded can not generate previews." but this is not correct as my site was showing previews before a post was submitted and this only broke after updating to your latest plug-ins. I can even go to the media section in the WordPress Admin and see that the image has been uploaded and this is before submitting the post.

Question 2:
When using "cred_field" you have the option of adding "output='bootstrap'" to either use bootstrap styling or not include it to use raw element output. For example:

[cred_field field="_featured_image" value="" urlparam="" output="bootstrap"]
[cred_field field="_featured_image" value="" urlparam=""]

Before when using this to add an attachment or featured image selector to a post form you would get a button or hover text that said "delete" after attaching a file. But now, after upgrading, the button or hover text says "Clear value".

How can I change this? "Clear value" is not very clear to the average user.

Please see the same attached images for example.

Thank you for your help!

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi Sam

There was a fairly major change with Forms 2.4 to switch to using the native WP media library when adding images with front-end forms (so that you can drag and drop multiple images etc.).

There is now a setting whether to use it or not in the form if you edit it, "Use the WordPress Media Library manager for image, video, audio, or file fields", which on your existing form is turned off. Enable that.

The text of the button to replace and image you uploaded is now "Replace image" which I think is better?

Capture.PNG

Thanks for the help.

I tried enabling and disabling "Use the WordPress Media Library manager for image, video, audio, or file fields" and it doesn't seem to make a difference. It's nice for users to be able to preview the image they are uploading, especially in case they select the wrong one, but I guess it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work anymore.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the button and hover text saying "Replace image" as for me it says "Clear Value" and I can't find anywhere to change it. See the attached image.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Sam

Can I take a look at your site, because that doesn't sound right.

Let me mark your next reply as private so that I can get log-in credentials from you—you may want to create a temporary admin user for me to use that you can later delete. And be sure to have a current backup of your site.

Which is the form, and where is it displayed?

Unfortunately, the site owner asked me not to. ... I know, it's not too helpful. 🙂

Is there a direction you can point me in as to where to look or what to try?

Nigel
Supporter

Right. There isn't much more I can add in that case.

With the current version of Forms the form settings include an option to use the native WP media manager for image uploads.

If you choose that option, then you should see on the front end that the file upload field is replaced by the native WordPress media uploader, and the text for replacing existing images becomes "Replace image".

If you don't see that then the only way to understand why is to check and debug your actual site.

If that's not possible then I suggest you create a new form, adding the same fields as your exiting form, and replace the old form with this new form. I expect that would likely work.

Do you want to try that?

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into this next week and update you.

Nigel
Supporter

Sure, let me know.

I still haven't gotten to this but just sending a quick reply so it doesn't get closed. Thanks.

Nigel
Supporter

No problem, let me just mark this as awaiting your reply again.

Capture.PNG

Ok, I finally got to this.

I see what you mean about the "replace image/file" button when using the native WP media manager. However, the button to remove and image/file still shows as "Clear Value" regardless of if I use native WP or not.

I tried creating a new form and I still run into the same thing. I even created a brand new install of WordPress on my local computer and tried there and I get the same thing.

See the attached image.

Could this be fixed or provide a way to change that text? Thank you!

Nigel
Supporter

Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 08.18.59.png
Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 08.16.40.png

I'm confused by your latest screenshot, as that is from the back-end, and I thought we were talking about front-end forms.

In any case, I don't believe that text is being generated by Toolset.

If you have a new install with the current Toolset plugins then you'll see what can be seen in my two screenshots, of the front-end and back-end.

Can you disable all non-Toolset plugins and switch theme to twentynineteen; it should be possible to identify where that text is coming from by a process of elimination.

The screenshot is actually from the front-end, it's just the image I used is a screenshot of the back-end so I guess that makes it a little confusing.

It's a good idea to try from a clean site. I've been meaning to for a while now but have had so little time. I will try to get to that this week and let you know what I find out.

Thank you again for all your help.

Nigel
Supporter

No problem, let me mark this as awaiting your feedback once more.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.