Skip Navigation

[Resolved] post form caching

This support ticket is created 4 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

When a user completes a Post Form, it gets submitted to us and we have the option set where it displays a message that the message was sent to us successfully. This works great. However, we are getting some idiot users that will backspace back to the form, where it still shows their populated fields, and they submit again & again, again, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how to at least, clear their contents in our fields (as many are required, thus slowing them down).

As a test: If I refresh the page (either before I hit backspace to return to completed form; or after being returned to completed form), the user content still shows in my form fields.
1. I thought it was a browser stored cookie, but not the case. I can delete the cookie, refresh the page and old content still shows.
2. I have a page cache plugin (cache enabler). It would seem I wouldn't want to NOT cache the page, as would slow down page load.
3. I have a browser cache plugin (leverage browser caching), along with htaccess code setting time limits.

I'm not using a captcha, as they all seem to be a 3rd party drag on page load.
Is there a way to clear contents w/in Toolset (I don't see where). Other option?
Just curious.

Hi, to a large degree this behavior is dictated by the browser. It's not a Toolset feature per se, it's more of a side effect of how Toolset updates the browser URL after submission, and how browsers handle history states and navigation using the back button. Check out this ticket for some more information: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/prevent-user-from-going-back-after-submitting-a-cred/

There are some links in those comments that point to the possibility of forcing a page reload (which will clear the form contents) if a back-button navigation is detected. I think that's probably one of the best options, but it does require custom code.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.