Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Portfolio page VERY slow

This support ticket is created 6 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Beda 6 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hello,

I'm building a portfolio page with types & views. The pictures shown are randomly taken from a custom post type. However, the loading times are really slow. Is there anyway to speed things up?

When I disable Wp-Views, the load times are normal.

URL: hidden link

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Erwin,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. I have performed speed test on your site and I can see that Leverage browser caching is not enabled on your server, please enable it to speed up your site.

GTmetrix:
hidden link

Google PageSpeed Insights:
hidden link

1. For Speed improvement of your site, there are a number of issues which could be implemented to improve the performance, this in return will allow your website, plugins and theme to perform better. Please see suggestions to improve your site speed at the links given above. Some important factors that needs attention:
- Enable = Leverage browser caching
- Enable = Serve resources from a consistent URL
- Optimize Images to reduce their size by 515.8KiB (21% reduction)
- Reduce server response time (current server response time is 29.6 seconds).

Please try to sort out above things and let us know afterwards, we will be happy to recheck this further.

2. Further, this is best and comprehensive guide to speed up your website, we highly recommend to follow it:
hidden link

3. Also I can see that you are using older version of Toolset Types plugin. Please update ALL Toolset plugins to it latest official release. Or you can download it from your account:
https://toolset.com/account/downloads/

I hope all this information will be helpful for you. Thank you

Hello Noman,

I know about caching and server speeds. But these high loading times are caused by Toolset. Our server is fine.

Noman
Supporter

Basically problem here is Server Response Time which can’t be related to any theme or plugin. This time is when your site makes a connection to the server, before any theme or plugin is executed or content is shown, hence its causing Load time to be more than 25 seconds. You can confirm this by disabling Toolset plugins and test your site on these 2 speed testing tools, you will most likely get same delayed server response time:
hidden link
hidden link

Our demo Reference sites are also using Toolset plugins and you can see these speed test results here that shows the good speed with Toolset plugins (note that this site is standard one & not specially optimized):
- hidden link
- hidden link

Other factors as I see in your site are still good but the main thing to note is the Server response time, please report this to your hosting company support as well.

- Not directly related, but I suggest to update Toolset Types plugin to latest version if you would like to.

Thanks

Hello Noman,

Then please explain these results:

Toolset ENABLED (23.67s Load Time):
hidden link

Toolset DISABLED (1.28s Load Time):
hidden link

Noman
Supporter

Thanks for speed tests, I can see the difference in both sites is due to Response codes >> Connection error

- A similar issue was posted here and the solution was to re-create clean .htaccess file, please ensure your .htaccess file is clean or same as native WP:
hidden link

- There are 113 Requests being made by the site to the server when Toolset is enabled, this is expected as the css, js, images files are trying to load but for some reason server is taking too long to respond or denying some of these requests causing the site to keep on loading. Logically the Connection error should not be there.

- I still highly recommend enabling the speed and cache settings that I have talked about in my first message. And most of the times cache plugins helps to improve page load times and for this I would trying W3 Total Cache plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/w3-total-cache/

- Any input from your hosting company will also help us in this matter as these issues can vary a lot from one site to another (specially I am not sure why site shows Connection errors).

If after trying above, you still find the same issue, then I need to request temporary website WP-admin and FTP info for your site to debug further and to help in resolving this. Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

=== Please backup your database and website ===

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important. Thanks

Noman
Supporter

Thank you for providing login info. I am going to work on it and will update you with my findings.

Thank you for your patience.

Noman
Supporter

Hello,

I have checked your site and made the following updates:

- Site is loading very fast now: hidden link
- Page Load time is great now = 2.57 seconds
- Speed test result: hidden link
- I’ve cleared all site cache and deactivated all active plugins.
- Updated .htaccess file with default WP rules.
- Then activated all plugins except wp-rocket plugin.
- I have installed and configured following plugins for page speed.
WP Performance Score Booster, Autoptimize, Remove Query Strings From Static Resources, WP Super Cache.

Have a great day.
Thank you

The pictures on the page are supposed to be randomized every visit.

I know caching fixes a lot of speed problems, but it also makes the page static.

Noman
Supporter

Technically it's a separate issue and technical limitation. Without caching page speed will be affected. Problem is that rand query cannot work through the cached file.

I have tried various things but can't bypass this. There might be a way to enforce this behavior using custom code but I don't know what that would be. For every new user the images showup as random but I think we have to compromise on this for re-visiting users.

Please open a new ticket if you still want to know more about this. This will help other users with similar problems to find solutions when searching the forum, I am not allowed to handle multiple issues in the same ticket as per support policy. https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/

Thanks

Well my issue is not resolved. The server this website is hosted on is fine, even without caching.

Can you, or someone else please look at my Views. Maybe I can optimize it for better loading speeds? Caching the page is a workaround, not a solution.

Noman
Supporter

Top-images.jpg

Hello,

I am going to escalate it to 2nd tier for further review but need this info:

- So far I was checking Random images at the top of the page (above the fold - see attached screenshot). Which has this View:
hidden link
Is there any other section where random images are appearing on this page?

- Also please provide links to the [Views] Edit Screens which are having random images.

Thank you

Yes. The following view uses Random images also: hidden link

Thank you for your help so far.

Noman
Supporter

Ok, I have escalated this issue to our 2nd tier support for further review and we will get back to you with an update.

Also I noticed one thing, UberMenu plugin is 1+ year old version in your site, you can try upgrading it as well. And when I deactivate UberMenu plugin your site pages do not show any content which is bit strange to me, not sure if it has strong linkage with the pages of the site somehow.
hidden link

Thanks

Noman
Supporter

Just like to inform that our 2nd Tier support will be debugging this issue further either today or tomorrow. Thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.