Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Populating Fields in Form Notification Emails

This support ticket is created 3 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 3 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I have One to Many relationship "Opportunities" to "Offers"

I have a post form to add an offer with an expiration date that is overwritten based on a custom date field in the Opportunity.

When trying to populate the Notification email with Custom Fields, they are never populated. The email is sent but not populated with fields from Offers or Opportunities.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

No - The documentation links for this seem to be missing

What is the link to your site?

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

That is really strange. No other user reported such issue yet.

Can you please share problem URL where you added the form as well as access details so I can review what email notification you setup and what fields you added to it.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

I see the email notification setting is set to 30 Minuets before the post expires.

Can you please share the URL of the page where you added the form on the frontend?

This is an example

hidden link

Which is the template for "Opportunities" and is the add volunteer form

Minesh
Supporter

Thank you.

First of all - After login to your site - I found that you are using outdated Toolset plugins. We always recommend running your site with the latest stable release plugin version.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
Could you please update ALL Toolset plugins to it's latest officially released version. You can download the latest plugin release from your accounts page:
=> https://toolset.com/account/downloads/

Do you see it working once you update all Toolset plugins? If no:
- As I understand, you expect to see the email when the post expires with all the content added to your email body - correct?

All updated and just ran a test and the info on the email is still not populating from custom fields.

Hi - Is there any chance someone could update us on this one, or switch it to a support member in the same timezone as us. (London) Thanks

Minesh
Supporter

Thank you for update. Yes - I tried to send me email but even I do not able to get any email in by inbox or spam after I submit the post and post is set to expire in 2 minute and the notification setting is set to send before 1 minute.

This will require bit deeper debugging and I'm off tomorrow so I'm passing this ticket to my college Jamal and he will get back to you with his findings.

However - rather working on the live site, we would prefer to have a staging site or duplicator copy of your site.

Can you please share either test site duplicator copy:
=> https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Hello @ianh-12,

I logged into your website and checked both the form and the content template for Opportunities.

The form is configured to be sent to the post author and to a specific email address.

As this is your live site, I was hoping to know how I can test this form? Should I create new Offers from the form and update it to send an email to my address?

Would it be possible to take a Duplicator copy of your website so I can test this locally? Or would it be possible to test this on a staging site? So, we do not affect your live site or users.

Please let me know how would you like us to proceed?

I also notice that the post will expire in a week and that the notification should be sent a week before expiration, which seems strange. Is that the configuration that you would like to have?

Hi - The form Add Offer (4737) is set to update the author of the offer post to the selected user, which is working successfully.

You can add offers to your own email fine. This part of the website is not being used live yet.

We have sent Duplicator copies. The 1 week post expiration was only set to utilise the email reminder, so we set this to not change the status of the post.

You are welcome to change any of the timings or dates on the Opportunities for testing purposes.

Ultimately we want the email reminder on this form to be sent 36 hours before the Opportunity Date.

using this template

Dear [wpv-post-author format="meta" meta="first_name"],

This is to remind you that your next Volunteering session is:

Event & Date : %%POST_TITLE%%
Please make sure you arrive promptly [types field='arrival-time'][/types] before the event begins, in time for pre-show briefing.

Thank you

This at the moment is only populating the Event & Date : %%POST_TITLE%% and none of the other fields such as [wpv-post-author format="meta" meta="first_name"], [types field='arrival-time'][/types]

I have also created a Duplicator package for you to use if you need it - hidden link

Jamal
Supporter

I have worked on a copy of your website for a long time, just to make sure the notifications are sent. Then I was able to confirm, on a clean install, that there is a bug that prevents the shortcodes from returning values. The notification placeholders are also not returning their values.

I am escalating this issue to our 2nd Tier for further analysis, and I'll get back to you as soon as we have something to share.

As a workaround, only for the shortcodes, you can add the item attribute with the post id, and it should fix the issue. For example, replace this:

[types field='arrival-time'][/types]

With this:

[types field='arrival-time' item="%%POST_ID%%"][/types]

Let me know what you will get. I'll remain at your disposal.

Hi,

[types field='arrival-time' item="%%POST_ID%%"][/types] is still outputting nothing, is there any update?

Thanks.

Jamal
Supporter

Our developers confirm that not all the placeholders will work on the expiration notification and that we should use the item attribute with the post_id placeholder.

I just run a test on my clean install and it works, check this screenshot of the notification configuration and the resulting email hidden link

I think the issue may be that some of the data such as "arrival time" needs to come from the parent post in the one to many relationship. Is this achievable?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.