Skip Navigation

[Resolved] plugins take up a lot of disk space!

This support ticket is created 5 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by gaborN 5 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hello Toolset team,

Types 2.2.x > 27MB (2 960 items)
Types 3.0.1 > 31,5MB (3 489 items)

Views 2.5.x > 25,2MB (2 286 items)
Views 2.6 > 26,9MB (2 646 items)

CRED 1.9.6.x > 22,6MB (2 047 items)
Forms 2.0 > 22,6MB (2 218 items)

Is it serious? It has always been ridiculously huge, but you managed to make it even bigger ?

In comparison:
WordPress 4.9.6 > 30,8 MB (1 647 items)
ProcessWire 3.x > 26,8 MB (2 044 items) > full blown CMS!

You might as well write a brand new CMS and be able to deliver fewer files...

Are you planning to stop this grooo0000wing trend? Better yet, cut it to at least to its 1/3?

Also, you bundle toolset-common in each of the vendor folders, and that one alone is about 16,9MB. Is it necessary to have it three times?

Hope you can do something about this...

Regards
NG

I will pass your feedback to the Developers for consideration.

In my opinion, Toolset are big Plugins, this is correct.
But they are as well a full CMS, and each plugin can use used as a standalone plugin, hence the repeating folders.

Anyway, I agree it's large, and will pass this feedback along.

I cannot promise we can change this thou, this depends entirely on the developers.

I started to get rid of all Toolset plugins on all the sites I can do it with only little refactoring required. I even noticed that page rendering times got better by about 550ms after deleting all the Toolset plugins.

The alternative to Types is clearly Pods and its extensions. I still do have a site where it would take a lot of extra work to remove Toolset so I will probably need to live with this giant of yours for a while but all my other sites will be just fine switching to Pods.

You seed Pods is 8,7 MB (584 items) . Sure, out of the box Pods is not as feature rich as the Toolset plugin family but – me being a developer implementing a lot by code – most of Toolset was just sitting there, taking up a lot of space, slowing down page render times and doing nothing else.

Do not get me wrong, features of Toolset are awesome. It is just the outlined issue explained above which are the ones that force me to abandon my lifetime license as soon as I can.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.