Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Please provide a way for Admin users to turn off the Front-end Display meta-box.

This support ticket is created 8 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Robert 7 years, 12 months ago.

Assisted by: Juan.

Author

I am trying to: keep site owners from getting confused

The new Front-end Display meta-box is a great idea for developers, but it's confusing the heck out of my clients. Here's one example question I received:
"I am posting to the website and it wants me to Create an Archive with WordPress 4.5. Suggestions or recommendations for this."

I know it can be turned off using Screen Options, what I'm requesting is a way for Admin users to turn it off for all non-Admin users (better still, for specific roles).

Juan
Supporter

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Robert

Thanks for the feedback.

There is a way to disable it entirely, for all users of for specific authors, or whatever you can imagine. We built this feature with extensibilty in mind, so there is a PHP filter to disable it:

types_information_table

You just need to set a callback for this filter, and return FALSE whenever you want the table not being displayed.

As stated in the first ticket we had about this, here:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/hide-new-front-end-display-panel/
we are considering a GUI for this filter, so it becomes a Types setting that you can enable/disable. It will not give you the same granular control that you would have with a custom filter callback, but avoids the code 🙂

Besides that, we noticed some glitches with user permissions, and we are considering avoiding this table for roles with low privileges by default.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

scarywarning.png

Thanks for pointing me to the other thread, I didn't find it in my searches.

Juan says that in user testing people found the new meta-box useful, and I'm sure he's right - for developers and new users of Views.

I respectfully suggest that you extend your user testing to include users who fall into the category of "people who maintain the content of their own site, but rely on a developer for all non-content changes". There is also a large subset of users who fall into this category and also belong to the category "this kind of warning, that I never saw before, is scary" (see attached).

In this context, please keep in mind that in many cases, there's no reason to develop all the all the parts for all the things. Do we really need the red exclamation triangle?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.