Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Please help

This support ticket is created 3 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.23 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author

Hi,

I setup my site again and followed the dir site course.

https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1622969-1622355/

Here you explain how to create the my account page, ath the bottom you mention the access control but your docs structure does NOT make it clear that you have to go to that step and complete.

This causes confusion because you continue the step where you get to this page

https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1622969-1622351/

where this is mentioned

Navigate to Toolset → Toolset Access.
Click the Post Groups tab.
Click the Logged-in users only group.
Click the pencil icon in the Guest row. A pop-up window opens.
Select Show Content Template. Here, for users with restricted access, you can select a template to display instead of the page content.
Choose Login Form, which is the name of the layout we just created.
Click the Set errors button to save your changes.
Save your post group.

NO logged in user group!!!!!

I figured it but I still have a problem. The my account page is hidden from the menu. I can give you site acccess to see what is wrong let me know how

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

I understand your point about the access group explanation in the course and indeed it would be more intuitive if it is explained before being used. Appreciate your feedback and I'll pass this on internally.

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by "my account page is hidden from the menu". Can you please share some more details and temporary admin login details? I'll be in a better position to guide you accordingly.

Note: Your next reply will be private and please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing these details.

I've checked the "my account" page and it is showing the login form correctly to the guests (non-logged in visitors).

If you meant that the link to this page is not available in the main navigation menu for the guests, the reason for that is the post group restrictions are automatically applied to the navigation menu items too. In other words, if a visitor can't access a page/post, he/she won't see its link in the navigation menu item too.
( this is also mentioned in our guide at https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1622969-1622351/#hiding-restricted-pages-from-navigation )

A workaround to keep the "My Account" link in the navigation menu for guests would be to remove the current link that is associated with that page and instead add a new link, which is a custom link (but points to the same page's URL).
( screenshot: hidden link )

Thank you.

Where in your course is this mentioned? I am trying for a week now to create a my account page with all the relevant links but cannot.

How is this custom link going to work when someone logins?

did you delete everything from my install? without never mentioning? either before or after?

I am sorry, did you make any changes in my site?

Nevermind I imported my backup.

I still need help with the two questions though

Thanks again

This is really important please help

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back.

> Where in your course is this mentioned? I am trying for a week now to create a my account page with all the relevant links but cannot.

- If you'll use this link for the course page, it will scroll to the note about this:
https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1622969-1622351/#hiding-restricted-pages-from-navigation

> How is this custom link going to work when someone logins?

- The challenge is that the "my account" page is set to be restricted for the guests (i.e. visitors who are not logged in). When a visitor will visit this page, he/she will see the login form and not the actual content of the page.

But, this also affects the display of this page's link in the navigation menu, and when a guest will see the menu this page's link will not be available to him/her.

Now, I understand that you'd like this "my account" page link to be available for guests and users (logged-in visitors) alike. For this, I suggested a workaround of using a custom link, in my last reply. That custom link will not be hidden from the guests and it will take them to the same "my account" page, where they'll see the login form.

Let me give you a practical example from my test website:

a). Suppose that I have a page "Sample Page" on my website ( with URL: hidden link ), which is restricted the same way as your website's "my account" page so that the guests won't be able to see its content.

b). If I'll add it's page link in the navigation menu, it won't be shown to the guests.

c). But, if I'll remove this page's menu item and instead add it as a custom link, it will be shown to guests as well as the users.

Please note, how I've used the full page URL and the page title, to add a custom link.

I hope this example will make this more clear.

> did you delete everything from my install? without never mentioning? either before or after?
> I am sorry, did you make any changes in my site?

- No, I didn't make any changes to the website and I'm glad that you were able to restore it through a back-up.

I'll recommend checking the server's error log or getting in touch with the hosting support team to investigate any malicious/suspicious activity on the server.

regards,
Waqar

Tahnk you

What I need is to understand how you Toolset suggest to build this page i dont want to do anything custom. Did I miss something in the process? Please tell me.

Now, I understand that you'd like this "my account" page link to be available for guests and users (logged-in visitors) alike. For this, I suggested a workaround of using a custom link, in my last reply. That custom link will not be hidden from the guests and it will take them to the same "my account" page, where they'll see the login form.

its not about what i like its about what i HAVE TO DO to create this page and make it work for users.

ps. i am not receiving your replies for some reason

Waqar
Supporter

Sorry, if my replies are causing more confusion. Let me explain this differently.

The steps shown in our course lessons are provided just as examples or guidelines to help new users learn how different Toolset elements can be used together. Depending on the different user and project requirements, it would make sense that different users would do things differently on their actual websites.

For example, as far as the course lessons you referenced in the first message of this thread are concerned, your website's "my account" page was ready when you started this thread.

It was showing the page's content to logged-in users and a login form to guests (non-logged in visitors) when I checked it then.

But in addition to that, in the first message, you wrote:
> "I figured it but I still have a problem. The my account page is hidden from the menu. I can give you site acccess to see what is wrong let me know how"

And in your second message, you also wrote:
> "The goal is to create the my account page like your docs describe. I followed the steps and this is hidden
> {yourwebsite.com}/movers/my-account/
> from guests
> I want it to be visible, the page is in the menu"

From these points in your messages, I deducted that you'd like to show the "my account" page link in the navigation menu to logged-in users and guests both, and that is why I have been sharing the information about adding the custom link in the menu. If you don't want to add a custom link, then that is fine and you can ignore my suggestion about that.

Now moving back to the present, I've noticed that you've lost some changes after restoring the older backup copy.

The "my account" page is at {yourwebsite.com}/movers/my-account/ but it has no post group restriction.

Please add a new post group "Logged-in users only" and set it like explained here:
https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1621543-1655635/#create-a-post-group-for-pages-restricted-to-logged-in-users

After that, you'll assign that post group to show the "Login form" content template to guests who don't have access to the items in this post group:
https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1622969-1622351/#setting-the-login-form-template-to-appear-on-the-my-account-page-for-visitors

And lastly, you'll assign this post group to the "my account" page and you'll be all set.

Dear Waqar.

Let me rephrase maybe I did not explain my problem.

I am trying to set up a dir site. I started the course and I am stuck at the my account page.

What I expect my site to do:

1. Have a link somewhere for users to login/register
2. This link should change from login to logout when you are logged in
3. A my account page with all the relevant commands ( edit listing, delete etc. )

Generally function like a regular site, for example like yours. I see a login button on top right.

My problem is that I cannot do these things specfically the part where user register/login. If I misread your docs I apologize please point me to the steps to do them again.

I need specifically the exact links, like 'to create a login menu link that allows users to login please see this doc"

If its possible to set this up for me please let me know I am willing to set up a site just for You.

Thanks again

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing your requirements again.

I'm afraid, we can't set up things on your website for you, but to better understand the steps, I've added a demo website here:
hidden link

These are the steps that I took:

1. I added these two pages to this website:
a). Login/Register ( hidden link )
b). My Account ( hidden link )

2. Next, I added a new user form "Form to add a new user" to allow users to register with an account from WP Admin -> Toolset -> User form.
( refer to this section of the course: https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1622969-1634711/#create-a-registration-form )

Note: In this example, I've used the "Subscriber" role for registering new members.

After creating the form, I went to WP Admin -> Toolset -> Access Control -> Toolset Forms, and under the "User Forms Front-end Access Group", allowed "Guests" to access this newly created user form.

3. After that I added a new content template "Login/Register" from WP Admin -> Toolset -> Content Template, but without assigning it to any post type.

In this template, I added a Grid block with two equal-width columns.

a). In the left column, I inserted a "Fields and Text" block, to add a login form shortcode:
( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#wpv-login-form )

[wpv-login-form redirect_url="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>" allow_remember="true"]

Please note how I've added the "My Account" page's URL in the "redirect_url" attribute so that after successful login, a user is redirected to that page.

b). And in the right column, I inserted a "Forms" block to show the user form "Form to add a new user" from step 2.

Once this content template was ready, I assigned it to the page "Login/Register".

4. Now that this "Login/Register" page was showing the login and the registration form, it needed to be unavailable for the user's who are already registered and logged-in.

For this, I added a new content template "Already Logged in Message" with some message informing the user that he/she is already logged-in and a link to the "My Account" page.

5. I then added a new post group "Only for Guests" from WP Admin -> Toolset -> Access Control -> Post Groups. This will be used to protect some pages from logged-in users, so it only allows access to "Guests".

I also selected the content template "Already Logged in Message" to be shown to users with the "Subscriber" role.

6. I then selected the option "Managed by Access" for the "Pages" post type from WP Admin -> Toolset -> Access Control -> Post Types.

This step is needed so that access post groups can be assigned to pages.

7. In the post group settings for the page "Login/Register", I selected this post group "Only for Guests".

As a result, when a guest will see this page, he/she will see the login form and the registration form.

But, if the logged-in user (subscriber) will see this same page, he/she will see the message that you're already logged in.

8. Similar to step 5, I added another post group "Only for Members", and removed its access for guests, and selected the "Login/Register" content template from step 3, to be shown to them.

9. After that, I assigned this new post group to the "My Account" page, so that when a "guest" will see this page, he/she will see the login and registration forms. But a logged-in user will see the content of the page, which also includes the logout link.
( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views/views-shortcodes/#wpv-logout-link )

[wpv-logout-link redirect_url="<em><u>hidden link</u></em>"]Logout[/wpv-logout-link]

I hope this step-by-step explanation will help and I'll share the admin access details of this demo website in the next reply, privately.

I appreciate the help, does this demo work? Can I actually register and login? because I tried and could not.

Waqar
Supporter

You're very welcome and the registration form in the demo works to add a new user.

Since, the goal with this demo was only to show you how different pages and content restrictions through post groups can be made to work together, I've haven't added any notification email to the user form to notify new user that his/her account has been created.
( ref: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/send-notifications-when-someone-submits-the-form/ )

Please let me know if you have any related/follow up questions.
( once you've reviewed the demo website, I'll have it removed )

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.