Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Performance issue

This support ticket is created 5 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Author

Hi i 've already done a support but for some reason i can't answered it in time. Here is the link for my issue.
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/we-have-a-performance-issue-on-a-view-template/

I've done what Minesh told me to do and put everything up to date.

I tried everting i could but the site is still pretty slow. Could you help please?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

I notice that you are using 3 page builders on the site (the Cornerstone builder that comes with your theme, Layouts which comes with Toolset, and WP Bakery). You should choose one and deactivate the other two.

I tried searching on the page a couple of times. The first time the results were returned after 4s, which is not great nor is it too bad, but the second time it took about 20 seconds, which suggests an underlying problem.

In such situations I recommend installing the Query Monitor plugin, which will detail all of the database requests that happen through the lifecycle of constructing a page, and which should help narrow down if there are certain queries running particularly slowly, or if there are an unexpectedly high number of queries.

Try that, but if you are not able to interpret the results, let me know and I can take a look to see if anything obvious jumps out.

Hello Nigel,

Thank you for your answer.

I tried to test the views with different page builder and the results weren't quicker. I took your second advice and installed Query Monitor but It doesn't help me much. I would appreciate some help to interpret the results.

Kind regards

Nigel
Supporter

I can take a look if you want to give me access to your site.

I will mark your next reply as private so that I can get log-in credentials from you—you may want to create a temporary admin user for me to use that you can later delete. And be sure to have a current backup of your site, even though I don't intend to make any changes.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Jérôme

I looked at the results of Query Monitor and identified a number of slow queries which originate from Views that would help explain the slow page loading on the search results page.

I've passed this on to my second tier colleagues who can spend longer debugging it to see if there are any areas where this can be improved, and I'll let you know when they report back.

Note, while checking your site I noticed a few JS errors in the console (not related to the slow queries) which you should investigate. Try disabling plugins and switching theme to see if you can identify the source.

Also, there were some PHP notices, in particular it appears that you defined WP_MEMORY_LIMIT and WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT more than once in wp-config.php.

Hi Nigel,

This project has been put on side for a while but now we need help again. I've saw when i disable the plugin Toolset Map, the performances are very good. Is there something wrong with the cache option? Or did I made mistakes in my queries?

Best regards

Jérôme

Nigel
Supporter

I checked the internal ticket where I shared your site with the developers but I don't see any specific conclusions to report.

I've nudged them to ask for more details and I'll make sure someone takes another look soon.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Jerome

The feedback is not too helpful for you, inasmuch as the slowness is expected when using location-based searches with Maps on anything other than fairly modest sites.

The way the data is stored and queries constructed is not optimised for larger sites.

This is a known problem and we have an internal ticket about creating dedicated database tables for location data to speed things up considerably, but it is not being worked on right now.

You could submit a request to the product manager to prioritise this: https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

Sorry, but I don't have any specific recommendations in the meantime.

Hi,
Thanks for the answer but it's really an inconfortable situation for us. We write to the product manager and hope he'll find a solution because we can't use the website in this situation.

Regards,
Stéphane

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Jerome

I've shared more details of the issue with the product manager who I understand has written directly to you to confirm that we will move forward the work required to better scale maps distance searches.

I think we can close here?

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your answer. Do you know when the new version of toolset maps will be available ?

Kind Regards,
Jérôme

Nigel
Supporter

It is a major project. Without making any promises, the main developer expects it to take 1-2 months.

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for this information. Could you please inform us when you'll have information about the release of this ?

Kind Regards,
Jérôme

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Jérôme

I'm pleased to say that the developer has completed the work and reports impressive improvements in performance. The Maps plugin is scheduled for testing before it can be released. I don't have a specific timescale for when the update will be published, but it will be soon.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.