Skip Navigation

[Closed] Page looks nothing like original after updating to

This support ticket is created 3 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I had a page that was originally built in Toolset 2.something. I updated to the latest version of Toolset and now the page looks terrible and nothing like it was originally designed.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

I had to manually update the Toolset Types plugin via FTP (used documentation for that on this website).

Is there a similar example that we can see?

Not that I know of.

What is the link to your site?

The page in question is this one: hidden link

It used to have a number of photos of people, including their name, their location and a button that said something like "read more". If people clicked on that, they would go to a new page that showed more information (the information that's now ALL on that page link I gave you).

After manually updating the plugin via FTP (see above), I was unable to edit *any* page on the website any more. I got an error message from WordPress telling me the problem was with Toolset Types. I wasn't even able to deactivate the plugin either.

Via FTP I renamed the folder in the plugins folder to "types_old". After that, I was able to edit pages again. So now I'm stuck in a stupid situation:

Either activate Types and be able to access the page in question (even though it looks nothing like it used to) but be unable to edit *any* of my other pages on the website

OR

Deactive Types and be able to edit all pages on my website again but unable to edit that specific page mentioned above.

Very weird stuff this...

Hello, I'd like to provide a solution that allows you to both edit the page created with Types AND edit other posts on the site. Did the email from WordPress include any technical information, like an error log or error report? If so, can you include that information in your next reply? If not, can you tell me more about what happens when you activate Types and try to edit another page on the site? For example, are you able to see a list of posts when you go to wp-admin > Posts > All Posts? If you try to edit a post from this list, are you able to see the post editor, or is an error shown instead? If you see the editor, can you click "Update" after making some change, or is the button inactive? If you can click the Update button, is an error displayed?

Does your hosting company provide access to PHP error logs? If so, can you provide information about any errors that may have occurred at the time you received the error email from WordPress?

It will be helpful to include your site's debug info so I can see some other configurations. Please include the debug information in your next reply, as described in our FAQ here: https://toolset.com/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

foutmelding GOB Twinkle.jpg

I added the debug info above. In answer to your other questions:

The e-mail I get from WordPress is just a standard e-mail with no further technical information. It just tells me that, since WordPress 5.2 they have embedded a function to see which plugins cause problems. In the mail it states: "In this case, WordPress has found a problem with one of your plugins: Toolset Types.

When I log in on my admin panel, I do see all of my pages of the website, but as soon as I click on one of them to edit it (whether on the page link itself or on the "edit" button below it), I get a white screen with a message, saying: "There has been a critical error on your website. Check the inbox of your admin e-mail address for furhter instructions". See screenshot, but it's in Dutch.

Unfortunately I don't have access to my hosting company PHP error logs.

Okay thanks for the extra information. I don't see anything obvious in your debug information that would point to a problem. Since you don't have access to server logs, I would like to show you how to temporarily active a log so I can get more information about the error. Go in your wp-config.php file and look for

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Then add these lines, just after the WP_DEBUG line:

define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );
define('WP_DISABLE_FATAL_ERROR_HANDLER',true);

Activate Types and Views and try to edit another post on the site to provoke the error you noticed before. If a server-side error is triggered during this process, it should create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Use FTP to look for this file in the same directory as wp-config.php. You may need to click "Refresh" in your FTP browser to see a new file appear. Please download this file to your computer, open it in any text editing software, and send me its contents. Once that is done, you can revert the changes you made to wp-config.php and delete the log file using FTP.

Then let's run a few more tests to try to isolate any potential conflicts. Please temporarily activate the default Twenty Twenty theme and deactivate all plugins except Types and Views. Try to edit another file now. If the error is no longer displayed, please reactivate your parent theme, then child theme, then other plugins one by one until the problem returns. Let me know the results of this test and provide your error log in your next reply, and we can go from there.

Thanks for the reply. I edited the config file, activated the Toolset Types plugin again but couldn't find the Views-plugin you mentioned. I went to the update page of Toolset and there was a checkbox in front of the Views-plugin so I checked it and then clicked on Download. I got an error message, saying: "The folder already exists: wp-views". I don't know what's going on with that.

Anyway I activated Types and tried to edit a page (which resulted in a white page with nothing on it. Went to the WP directory again to find the error log. I'll copy the contents here:

------------------------------------------
[09-Aug-2020 14:19:24 UTC] WordPress databasefout Unknown column 'form_title' in 'field list' bij query
SELECT `title`, `created_at`, `form_title`, `default_label_pos`, `show_title`, `clear_complete`, `hide_complete`, `logged_in`, `seq_num`
FROM `gobtwinkle_nf3_forms`
WHERE `id` = 1
gemaakt door require('wp-admin/edit-form-blocks.php'), do_action('enqueue_block_editor_assets'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, NF_FormBlock->nf_form_block, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_setting, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_settings
[09-Aug-2020 14:19:24 UTC] WordPress databasefout Unknown column 'form_title' in 'field list' bij query
SELECT `title`, `created_at`, `form_title`, `default_label_pos`, `show_title`, `clear_complete`, `hide_complete`, `logged_in`, `seq_num`
WHERE `id` = 2
gemaakt door require('wp-admin/edit-form-blocks.php'), do_action('enqueue_block_editor_assets'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, NF_FormBlock->nf_form_block, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_setting, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_settings
WHERE `id` = 1
gemaakt door require('wp-admin/edit-form-blocks.php'), require_once('wp-admin/admin-header.php'), do_action('admin_enqueue_scripts'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, SiteOrigin_Panels_Compat_Layout_Block->enqueue_layout_block_editor_assets, SiteOrigin_Panels_Admin->enqueue_admin_scripts, NF_Widget->form, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_setting, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_settings
WHERE `id` = 2
gemaakt door require('wp-admin/edit-form-blocks.php'), require_once('wp-admin/admin-header.php'), do_action('admin_enqueue_scripts'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, SiteOrigin_Panels_Compat_Layout_Block->enqueue_layout_block_editor_assets, SiteOrigin_Panels_Admin->enqueue_admin_scripts, NF_Widget->form, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_setting, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_settings
[09-Aug-2020 14:19:25 UTC] WordPress databasefout Unknown column 'form_title' in 'field list' bij query
WHERE `id` = 1
gemaakt door require('wp-admin/edit-form-blocks.php'), require_once('wp-admin/admin-header.php'), do_action('admin_print_scripts-post.php'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, SiteOrigin_Panels_Admin->enqueue_admin_scripts, NF_Widget->form, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_setting, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_settings
[09-Aug-2020 14:19:25 UTC] WordPress databasefout Unknown column 'form_title' in 'field list' bij query
WHERE `id` = 2
gemaakt door require('wp-admin/edit-form-blocks.php'), require_once('wp-admin/admin-header.php'), do_action('admin_print_scripts-post.php'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, SiteOrigin_Panels_Admin->enqueue_admin_scripts, NF_Widget->form, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_setting, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_settings
WHERE `id` = 1
gemaakt door require('wp-admin/edit-form-blocks.php'), the_block_editor_meta_boxes, do_meta_boxes, NF_Admin_Metaboxes_AppendAForm->render_metabox, Ninja_Forms::template, include('/plugins/ninja-forms/includes/Templates/admin-metabox-append-a-form.html.php'), NF_Abstracts_Model->get_setting, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_settings
WHERE `id` = 2
gemaakt door require('wp-admin/edit-form-blocks.php'), the_block_editor_meta_boxes, do_meta_boxes, NF_Admin_Metaboxes_AppendAForm->render_metabox, Ninja_Forms::template, include('/plugins/ninja-forms/includes/Templates/admin-metabox-append-a-form.html.php'), NF_Abstracts_Model->get_setting, NF_Abstracts_Model->get_settings
------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps. I'll wait with the rest of the steps until you can give any clarity whether or not I have to have Views installed (which I can't at the moment because of the error message or if something else is going on instead. Thanks for the help so far.

Okay the errors indicate problems related to the Ninja Forms plugin. So if possible, please temporarily deactivate Ninja Forms and test again. Hopefully the white page problem is resolved. Let's try to pin down one or two possible sources of conflict. Please temporarily deactivate all plugins except Types and Blocks, and activate a default theme like Twenty Twenty.
- Test editing another post again. Let me know the results.
- Then reactivate Ninja Forms and test again. Let me know the results.
- If the white page problem is still not reproducible, continue testing until the white page problem is reproduced:
-- reactivate your theme and retest
-- reactivate other plugins one by one, testing each time until the problem returns
-- when the problem returns, try deactivating your theme and other plugins one by one until you can narrow down the conflict to a combination of just one or two plugins and/or your theme.
If that's all too complicated, please provide login and FTP information and I can test myself. This may be necessary anyway if you experience errors with Types, Blocks and Ninja Forms active together. I'll need to investigate in more detail, and possibly report this to my developers as a compatibility issue.

As far as Views, you should have either the Views plugin or the Blocks plugin available in your list of all installed plugins. If Blocks is installed, then there is no need to install or activate Views. Activate Blocks instead, and feel free to delete Views - Blocks is the preferred plugin now instead of Views. Sorry for the oversight, I was under the impression you were using Views but I can see now in your debug information you have Blocks instead.

I just deactivated and deleted all your Toolset plugins, then reinstalled Types using a fresh plugin download from the toolset.com site. Then, I used the automatic installer to reinstall Access, Blocks, Module Manager and Framework Installer. Now everything seems to be working - no white pages when I edit other posts, and I'm able to see and edit Gastouders posts created in Types.

My guess is that something got corrupted during the update to Types 3 and the plugin was not updated successfully. Now that we have a fresh version running, the system seems more stable. With that in mind, I would like to ask you to check the original problem again and let me know if the design of the post looks correct, or if we still have some problem to resolve. I have disabled the error log and removed that file from your server. Ninja Forms continues to produce errors, but they seem to be unrelated to Toolset and the problem you originally experienced. I would consider reinstalling that plugin as well.

The page still doesn't look as it should. I can't seem to find the problem. I don't know if this link will work for you after logging in: hidden link

It shows in the code that there should be a short (name, short info, availability and location) + photo and then a "read more" with this code:

<a href="hidden link" rel="bookmark" title="Maja">Meer over Maja »</a>

However, that doesn't show at all on the page hidden link

Instead, it shows *all* the information for all the employees that should be "hidden" behind the "read more". For some reason the original page isn't showing. I hope this makes sense. I found something on the page saying about Access, but I'm not familiar with that Toolset plugin (I see it's installed, but I don't know what to do with it).

Please check now, I temporarily disabled the plugin "Page Builder by Site Origin" to display the original page content. Something in the Page Builder plugin was overriding the content of this post. I don't think it's directly related to Toolset.

The topic ‘[Closed] Page looks nothing like original after updating to’ is closed to new replies.