Skip Navigation

[Closed] Ordering child elements within a list of parent items

This support ticket is created 3 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

We need to create a list of companies with the list of persons belonging to them in an indented sublist, i.e.

STUDIO 1
- Architect 1a
- Architect 1b
STUDIO 2
- Architect 2a
- Architect2b
- Architect2c

We already had that list+sublist already working in the following page:
hidden link

but after maybe n update of the plugins the content is not working anymore as expected because the parent item is repeating for every single child item, as follows:

STUDIO 1
- Architect 1a
STUDIO 1
- Architect 1b
STUDIO 2
- Architect 2a
STUDIO 2
- Architect2b
STUDIO 2
- Architect2c

Is there a way to solve this issue and restore the backward working view?

Thanks,
Franco

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Franco,

I'm not aware of any updates that could've caused this.

Would you mind allowing me to have admin access to the website so that I can have a look at this for you ?

The private fields will be enabled for your next response.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,
I can give you an admin acces but I cannot do a backup of the site so I cannot check the above fields.
Please let me know if we can send you the access credentials, the only thing is that if you do some changes they will go online and so we ask you to be aware of that in case of problems.
Franco

Shane
Supporter

Here are the private fields for your next response.

I won't be making any changes but just having a look as to what is happening.

Shane
Supporter

Hi Franco,

Not sure how you got this to work previously but these views I assume should be displaying relationship data correct?

Meaning View 1 is listing out the Parent and view 2 will be listing out the children.

Based on what I see both views won't be doing this. A restructure of the view is needed in order to do achieve this. Secondly given that you had updated from from a previous version of Types you will need to run the relationship migrations.

I highly recommend doing this on a test site first as this will bring your relationship up to the new format that we are using which makes it easier to use.

To do this go to Toolset -> Relationships and then run the migration.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,
we previously created that view with the help of your colleague Christian Cox, the thread is at this link:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/nested-posts-relationships-views/
Unfortunately at the end of ht thread he wrote that he made some code adjustments but he didn't describe that so we cannot have trace of it.
And also the page is not available anymore online because the site have been migrated to a new domain.
I don't know if it is possible to transfer this thread to Christian just to see if he remember something, but anyway if you can resume a solution from that chat please let me know.
Thanks
Franco

Shane
Supporter

Hi Franco,

Alot of things have changed since Christian worked on this solution with you.

Also quite a few things have changed for the relationships that makes it much easier. The problem is that your plugins are updated but not all of the old methods will carry over for your plugin.

So I will recommend that you setup a test site where you can safely run the relationship migration as we will need to recreate the views in order to display the items how you want it based on your first thread.

Thanks,
Shane

The topic ‘[Closed] Ordering child elements within a list of parent items’ is closed to new replies.