Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Transform relationships to new 3.x syntax and structure

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Can we migrate old Many To Many Post Relationships to the new Many To Many relationships?

Solution:
Yes, starting from Types 3.1

This support ticket is created 5 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Beda 5 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I am trying to: I have a website that was originally built on the Toolset platform a long time ago and recently migrated to the new database relationship format.

The original design I have Posts called Workshops that was connected to a post type called Presentations, that was connected to a post type called speakers.

In the migrated format I have relationships that connects workshops to presentations and workshops to speakers and speakers to presentations.

Previously I was able to create a workshop and create a presentation on the same backend page without having to open each presentation to select the speaker. In the new design after migration I have to create each presentation on the workshop page and then edit each presentation to connect it to the speakers.

This new process causes it to take three times longer to create workshops and when we create them we have hundreds to do at a time.

The hard part is that there are custom fields that connect these posts on each level and years of data already there.

Is there anything that can be done to allow this connection process to work?

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

Connected, how?
This is the question I got stuck with when I wanted to replicate this scenario

Usually I need to know exactly what your previous structure was.
Workshops, Presentations, Speakers where connected how?

I assume there was a Parent Workshop, many Child Presentations that also could belong to one Speaker.
That is the way I set it up to replicate this:
Previously I was able to create a workshop and create a presentation on the same backend page without having to open each presentation to select the speaker.

So, given I should have now the same scenario, I can create a Workshop, save it and in the same screen create a new Presentation that (if existing) I can already assign to a Speaker.

I now upgrade Toolset Types and run the migration under Toolset > Relationships.

I create once again a new Workshop and save it, I can add a New Presentation out of the box, or connect an existing one.
And, ehrm, I cannot add the corresponding parent.

I agree with you that this is a kickback.
I see we have a request filed, to allow to edit / control what we can edit and control on the relation table.
However - I will try to move something in regard.

I think - as you state - that this is a much slower approach than before.

You cannot change anything right now to alter this behavior (unless you create for example intermediate Fields, in new Relationships, they can be edited there)

I will update you here once I have some more news about that.

Did I understand the setup correctly?

Thanks?

Yes you have understood my request accurately.

Presentations was the child post that connected workshops and speakers.

My struggle in adding the fields to a relationship between workshops and speaker is that we have years of data saved through the presentation child pistbthat is now imported to the presentation relationship.

Thank you for the help.

I look forward to what you are able to figure out.

Ok, this is as follows:

1. Mostly such a setup as you describe it, is not necessary in a new many to many relationship, as you now just connect parents and Childs, and doing so, are able to edit fields of an intermediary object.

2. In a close future, we will add a feature (which is already under progress) to "really" migrate many to many relationships to the new methods.
Until now, migrating just meant to create several one to many connections in the new relationship.
With the new features, you will be able to migrate a old many to many to a real new many to many structure.
This might then solve all issues of #1

You may follow this ticket in regard:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/migrating-from-old-many-to-many-to-new-one/

3. I still see #3, where you want exactly what you had in legacy versions which was the ability to choose a related post from within the related posts edit section, this is not anymore possible, and I'll try to convert that to a feature request.

As for #3 I need the legacy content to still be available but if the connection is not quite the same its fine as we will not be editing the legacy content but it will still be live on the website as historical content.

Do you mean that if we migrate with the coming new feature we will lose the legacy content or that editing the legacy content will be not as easy?

Also as a follow up question to #2 will this new migration feature work if we have already migrated to 3.0 or will that only work if we are moving from a version prior to 3.0 into that version?

Yes, that is why I mention that I still see the use case you mention and that the request is still valid.
I will add a request for this for people to vote as well later.

Related to wether or not migration will work only if updated or not, it will work if you use the latest Toolset versions, hence, have migrated relationships
They are specially flagged for that to be recognized as such.
As well if you would be upgrading from anywhere below 3.0 you'd have the same chance of migrations.

Thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.