Skip Navigation

[Resolved] One custom post type as source for different URL's

This support ticket is created 3 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.65 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 3 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I currently have 3 custom post types that each are connected to a specific template. Each page creates a different url/slug. I am looking if I can just have all the data stored in one custom post type (instead of 3) and use that content on different pages.

Instead of:
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

I'd like to achieve a 'subfolder' structure like:
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

Each 'subfolder' then pulls it's data from 1 custom post type instead of 3.

Can this be achieved?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To achieve this, you can create a new custom post type and then switch/convert the type of posts in the existing 3 custom post types to this newly created custom post type.

As a result, all the posts from these 3 different custom post types will become part of a single custom post type.

Here are some useful guides on the topic:
hidden link
hidden link

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Hello Waqar,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for something different.

Let's say my custom post type has 15 fields. Instead of displaying them all on 1 page, I'd like to show 1-5 on page A (url-slug-a), 6-10 on page B (url-slug-b) and 11-15 on page C (url-slug-c).

Can that be achieved thru toolset?

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back and for sharing further details.

If you'd like to split a single post's data across multiple pages/posts with unique URLs, you can follow these steps:

1. Suppose there are two custom post types on the website:

a). Sources
The actual source post type, which will have all the 15 custom fields.

b). Display Items
The shadow post type, which will be used to show field data from "Sources" posts, using multiple URLs.

2. You'll create a one-to-many relationship between the "Sources" and "Display Items" so that one post in "Sources" can be linked to multiple posts in "Display Items".
( ref: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/how-to-set-up-post-relationships-in-wordpress/ )

This will allow, you to show the data from related "Sources" post into the multiple "Display Items" linked to it.
( ref: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/displaying-related-posts/ )

3. To distinguish between which set of fields should be shown on single "Display Items" post pages (i.e. fields 1-5, 6-10, or 11-15), you can register a custom taxonomy, for example, "Display Item Type" and attach it to the "Display Items" post type.

As a result, while creating any "Display Items" post, you'll be able to specify its type and then show only the relevant set of fields, using the conditional blocks.
( ref: https://toolset.com/course-lesson/using-toolset-conditional-block/ )

I hope this makes sense and please let me know if any point is not clear.

Thank you for this. I think I understand how it's done.

We're going to create the site from scratch on a new domain, so I will try to replicate this.

Waqar
Supporter

You're very welcome.

Please feel free to share any follow-up questions and for a new question or concern, start a new ticket.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.