Skip Navigation

[Resolved] No user role can see posts list

This support ticket is created 4 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Author
taxonomies settings.png
post types settings.png
post settings.png
post settings 2.png
post role access.png
post access on role, not on list.png

Hello!

I am trying to: Create user roles with WPML, each language has access to it's own posts, pages, media

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: See attached images

I expected to see: Pages work, I see the list, can edit only the right language set, all good.

Instead, I got: Posts do not appear, the menu entry is not there, upon direct link access it says I'm not allowed.

What I tested:
Tried to give more access rights from Custom Roles - I checked everything there, even admin stuff, but posts list still doesn't appear, I can see categories only at best.
If I open a post from that language by direct link, it works, I can edit it, but I can't see the list 🙁

Please help!

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To troubleshoot this in more detail, I'll need to see how everything is set up in the admin area.

Can you please share temporary admin login details, along with the information about the user role and the page(s) that you are using to test this?

Note: Your next reply will be private and though no changes will be made on your website, please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for sharing the admin access.

From looking into the custom user roles for languages, it seems that their permissions were copied from the "Guest" user role.

If that is correct, there is a known limitation for this case, when Yoast SEO plugin is active:
https://toolset.com/errata/yoast-seo-plugin-overrides-access-rules/

You can follow the workaround suggested in this link and it should fix this.

However in case the issue still persists, I'll need a clone/snapshot of your website for further troubleshooting:
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

Note: your next reply will be private.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,

When I created the roles for languages, I didn't have an option to copy permissions from another user role. I just did it from the WPML Groups tab, where I've added each language - posts and pages. This must have been automated from guest...

I tried the solution in the link, but it doesn't work, apparently because of Yoast. Maybe if there is a solution to give Yoast permission too...But this is weird as the Yoast settings work on pages, but on posts not.

Is there a way that I can delete the user role and recreate it with the right permissions? Or this won't work either because of Yoast?

What else to do? If you have no other indications, I will send a clone. Please let me know how to move forward.

Thanks!

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Thomas,

I'll suggest a quick test. Please create a new custom user role from Toolset -> Access Control page and copy the privileges from the built-in "Author" role:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/access-control/managing-wordpress-admin-capabilities-access/#creating-custom-roles

After that adjust the capabilities of this new user role from "Post Types" and "WPML Groups" tabs and then test this new user role. If this works, then you can recreate all custom user roles for your languages, the same way.

I hope this helps and please let me know how it goes.

Note: I've set your next reply as private. If this doesn't work, clone/snapshot of your website will help for further troubleshooting.
( https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/ )

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,

I tested, but it doesn't work. Even in the case when I create a new role, copied from admin, with all options. I still can't see the posts.
If I disable Yoast it works. I don't see a workaround here.
If you have one, please let me know.
If not I'm considering to change the SEO plugin and migrate the data with this plugin seo-data-transporter. To all All in One SEO Pack.
In this case, please let me know if All in One SEO Pack is supported so we don't migrate and have the same issue, if not, please recommend a SEO plugin that works with these custom roles.

Thanks!

Waqar
Supporter

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for sharing the update.

I noticed that your website is using Toolset Access version 2.7.5, whereas the latest version is 2.8.2.1.

You're not seeing the automatic update notification for this, because the Toolset Types plugin is not active on the website.
( https://toolset.com/faq/how-to-install-and-register-toolset/ )

To enable the automatic updates, you can first install and activate the Types plugin and to manually update the Types Access plugin you can download it from:
https://toolset.com/download/toolset-access/#changelog

Once Access and all other plugins on the website have been updated to the latest versions, please test those custom user roles again.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,
Sorry for the delayed answer.
The update fixed the problem.
Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.