Skip Navigation

[Resolved] No ALT text being generated front end on Gallery images

This support ticket is created 3 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by JoshuaD7497 3 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
screenshot.jpg

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I've set the gallery field for my custom posts to add ALT text to images from Dynamic Source > Current Listing > Post title
But when I check the images (code inspect), there are no ALT text tags for any images in the gallery.
I've tried other variations of the settings and still no ALT tag is produced.

Is there any documentation that you are following? No.

Is there a similar example that we can see? All the images in my post galleries.
E.g. hidden link

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Hello,

Thanks for the details, I can duplicate the same problem in my localhost, and have escalated this issue, will update here if there is anything news.

Are there any updates on this issue reported 6 weeks ago? I had hoped it might be fixed as part of the recent updates.

Including ALT text on gallery images is fundamental and essential for both SEO and accessibility requirements.

Many of our clients require us to meet W3C WCAG on their projects and this potentially rules out from using Toolset on any such projects.

Thanks,
Josh.

I have checked it in our to-do list, it is fixed in Toolset Blocks plugin 1.4, which is under QA status, but I am not sure when will it be released.

Thanks for updating me on this issue, Luo.

I hope this is forthcoming. It will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Josh.

I have to mark this thread as "Escalated" status, and will keep on updating here if there is anything news.

Here is the feedback from our developers:

The post title cannot be used in your case.

A gallery block is used to display images from a repeating image field, and the only possible sources for dynamic alt attributes also need to be repeating fields.

Hi Luo,

Thanks for your update.

Are you saying that there is no way of setting the ALT text for images used in a Toolset Gallery and that the ALT text attributes assigned to the images in the Media Gallery can't be used?

If this is the case, how would our websites meet W3C WCAG accessibility requirements, requiring that all images need to have an appropriate ALT value reflecting the image subject? This applies equally to gallery images, as with any image.

Your confirmation would be appreciated. From my perspective, if this is the case, I think this point will effectively rule out my use of Toolset for any future websites and represents a serious loss of faith in the product.

But maybe, my conclusion is wrong?

Thanks,
Josh.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 16.04.30.png

Hi Josh

Let me jump in here.

Galleries display multiple images. If using a dynamic source for the captions and alt tags, it should be a source with corresponding multiple values, rather than—say—the current post title, which is singular. The UI is being updated to prevent you from choosing something which is not a valid source.

Now, this issue is avoided if you choose the Media Library settings as the dynamic source for the captions and alt tags.

Perhaps you missed it, see the screenshot.

So if you add images from the Media Library as values for a custom image field, applying caption and alt settings to each of them in the library, then these will be added to the images shown via the Gallery Block.

I think that meets your requirements, but if not, please clarify.

Similar settings are available with the Image Slider block, but for some reason we appear to have omitted them from the single Image block, and I already reported that and it should hopefully be fixed soon.

Thanks Nigel,

The additional information is appreciated.

I'll investigate this further when I have time and see if I can resolve my issues with this knowledge.

Regards,
Josh.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.