Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Nested shortcodes in Elementor widgets – FIX

This support ticket is created 3 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by stuart 3 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
heading example.jpg

This is a possible solution for the nested shortcode issue in Elementor.

Ok, so I have had a couple of issues when trying to use nested shortcodes in Elementor - and there is a specific case where the Header and Footer elements in Elementor are particularly problematic.

The issue would produce this at the end of the result: "] , or if in the header entirely break the content section.
[ Example other tix: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/using-nested-shortcodes-in-elementor-widget/ ]

You could use a Text widget in Elementor and this would allow for adding conditionals etc, however, this would not always work in the Footer, or Header due to the way it renders the_content (I believe).

You can also put nested shortcodes in an unassigned content template and this does work, but only in the body of the Elementor page - not the header and footer, this break it.
[ Example other tix: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/nested-conditions-in-elementor-page-builed/ ]

I needed to use a Toolset View with a nested shortcode in the footer, to do this I needed to create my own shortcode to house the whole string and then I could use this in any element in Elementor such as a Header element.

You will need to create a function in either the functions.php or in the Toolset custom code section (Toolset >Settings>Custom Code).

add_shortcode('link-output', 'link_output');

function link_output( $args ) {
$ids =  do_shortcode('[wpv-post-id]'); 
$link = do_shortcode('[wpv-view cached="off" name="international-links"'.' ids="'.$ids.'"]');
return $link;
}

I created the view I needed and then broke down the variable needed, then combined them in the output.

[link-output] was then used in the shortcode within the Elementor element.

Now you don't have to do this with views, but with any other nested shortcode, you need to apply.

I hope this saves a headache for someone else.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Thank you for sharing this solution, what you can do is go ahead and mark this thread as resolved and I can add it to the thread summary so that it's much easier to find for user's who are experiencing the same issue.

Thanks,
Shane

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.