Skip Navigation

[Resolved] need to delete repeatable field group – but can’t see

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I need to delete a repeatable field group (RFG) but can't find it in Post Field controls.

Solution: Not sure how this became corrupted but it appears a manual database intervention is necessary.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi,

I imported some repeatable field groups into a post type but only one showed up in the post type. so now I have 2 repeatable field groups that I can't see anywhere expect in the content selection section of views.
I want to delete them - but how?
Thanks,
Scott.

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 5.36.00 PM.png

Hi, please include your site's debug information with every support ticket. It will help us provide the fastest solutions.
https://toolset.com/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

You should be able to delete the RFG when you edit the Field Group that originally contained the RFG. See the screenshot here for an example. If you cannot see the RFG in the Field editor screen, go to Toolset > Custom Fields > Post Fields tab, then scroll down and click the "Post Field Control" button. Search by the name of the RFG you want to delete. If any Fields from that RFG are found, please delete them. Then create a new View and check the content area. You should not be able to select the RFG anymore. If that is not the case, I'll need to take a closer look. If you provide login credentials in the private fields here, I can check in your wp-admin area to see what's happening more clearly.

I see you live in NY - I'm in Astoria Queens, NY.
Oh, the NY in my profile is just a timezone indicator. I'm in SC. Supporters here are contractually obligated to refrain from contract or freelance work, FYI.

would deleting it from those 2 places solve the problem?
No, information about the RFG is included as serialized data in other tables. I can't recommend changing serialized data manually.

I noticed in your screenshots that you are searching for the word "social" in the Post Fields Control screen. Are you searching for the entire RFG? That won't appear here because the search field searches for individual field names. You must search by the field name. If none of the fields use the word "social", then this filter may not help you find the fields in this RFG.

I know WPEngine caches things pretty aggressively, so it might be a good idea to see if you can clear the WPEngine cache. If neither of these help, I'll need to be able to take a closer look. I didn't receive login credentials in the private reply before, so I'll need you to include those.

Hi Christian,

I guess I should of mentioned, about that screen shot:
1. I already deleted the fields to the RFG via post control
2. there were 3 fields and all had the word "social" in them.
3. i cleared wpengine's cache ("Purges everything: The page-cache, the CDN cache, and the object cache") as well as browser.

RFG still exists in views content selection.

When I get home from work I'll send login info.

Thank you!
Scott.

Okay thanks, I will reactivate private reply fields here.

Okay thanks, I was able to export only your Types settings and import those into my local site. I am able to replicate the problem in Views, so I need to escalate this to my 2nd tier team for more investigation. Please stand by and I will let you know what I find out.

Is it possible for you to provide the original file you used to import these RFGs? My 2nd tier support team is trying to get to the bottom of why this is happening. I will activate a private reply field where you can provide a download link.

not sure if what i just wrote should be private.

also - I can't update. I get "Update Failed: undefined"
to update manually do I delete the plugin and upload?
deleting plugin won't mess up anything?

Thanks,
Scott.

Okay got it, I can export the module from the original site and pass that along to the team.

I can't update. I get "Update Failed: undefined"
You can download a fresh copy of the relevant plugin(s) from https://toolset.com/account/downloads, then deactivate and delete the plugin(s), then install again using the new zip(s). Your data will be maintained in the database, but it's always a good idea to make a backup of the database first.

It turns out there is a bug in the Toolset Module Manager that occurs in certain circumstances when more than one RFG is included in a module. Our developers have been informed of the bug and will work towards a permanent solution. In the meantime, I can show you how to fix this directly in the database, or if you want to provide phpMyAdmin access I'll be glad to do it myself.
- **Always make a backup before manually editing database values**
- Go into the posts table for the staging site and find the ID of the Social Media Icons post and the Credits Bottom Row post. You can search by post title if necessary. Let's say the IDs are 123 and 456, respectively. Now go into the postmeta table for the staging site and filter by post ID 19, which is the Front Page Fields custom field group. Find the row with meta_key = "_wp_types_group_fields". Edit the meta_value. You'll see several comma-separated entries. Look for the two entries that correspond to the Social Media Icons RFG and the Credits Bottom Row RFG. These entries are formatted incorrectly, and should look like "_repeatable_group_123" and "_repeatable_group_456", respectively. Make that change in the database and return to the custom field group editor in wp-admin. You'll see the two RFGs here now, and you can delete them manually.

is it a problem if I leave it as is?

thanks!

Too many unknowns there for me to give a solid, reliable answer. If you don't fix it and continue to make changes on the site, you run the risk that you discover later it must be fixed in the database. If you must revert the database to fix it, you'll lose all the changes made since the problem was discovered. The number of changes will just keep growing and growing, so it's better to fix it now than later. Also it could be a problem if you decide to export this site's contents for use in another site, or if you decide to use Module Manager to create new modules based on this site, for use on another site. Either of those processes could result in the same data corruption propagated to other sites.

oye..OK.

I will try to fix this weekend.
I've been continuing to work on the site - I hope nothing is messed up because of it!

Thank you!
will let you know.

3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG

well - it's very curious...while Social Media Icons (ID 22) and Credits Bottom Row (ID 21) - exist in the posts table, they don't exist in the postmeta table "row with meta_key = "_wp_types_group_fields"
please see screen shots.

thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.