Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Need membership site permalinks for WP user profile to include user real name

This support ticket is created 4 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jeffS-2 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I have a membership site with a page that displays a directory listing of members. Clicking on a particular member in the list opens new page "member-profile" and displays a full profile (with Types extended user fields.) However, the full profile permalink contains the User ID, and I need it to contain the user's display name or firstname-lastname instead of the User ID. Is this possible for User profile without using "rewrite url"?

What is the link to your site?
hidden link
Click on any user on that directory page and the resulting full profile page has the permalink with /user=[id].

Jeff
–––––––

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I need to first check how you configured your profile and how exactly you are adding the URL param user to the URL.

In addition to that - the URL you shared: hidden link, I'm not able to access it as it asks for authorization access details.

Can you please send me authorization as well as wp-admin access details so I can first review your current setup and after that, I will be able to guide you in the right direction.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Can you please check now:

I've adjusted the code that displays the "View Profile" link with the following view as given under:
=> hidden link

<a href="[wpv-post-url id="58"]/?users-filter=[wpv-user field="user_login"]"> — View Profile — </a> 

And with the following view - I've changed the query filter as given under:
=> hidden link

Users filter
Select users with the username determined by the URL parameter "users-filter" and with role "(editor, author, contributor, subscriber)"
eg. yoursite/page-with-this-view/?users-filter=admin

I can see now - instead of user ID the view is filtered using the user name.

Minesh -

This is very helpful and certainly a step in the right direction. However, I am trying to remove the query part of the URL so that it looks like: patel.com/member-profile/mickey-mouse/
Or, even better: patel.com/mickey-mouse/

I know this can be done using a rewrite, but I am hoping to keep it more simple.
My client's target audience will be people with little to no computer or Internet knowledge, and simplifying the URL as much as possible is key to attracting more of these people to the website.

Thanks, if you can shed any more light on how I can accomplish this, or if you think at this point it will require a rewrite.

Have a good one.
Jeff
–––––––

Minesh
Supporter

Glad to know that the solution I shared helps you to move on the next stage.

The thing is that - there is no such URL rewrite option available with Toolset. To make such pretty URLs based on the URL param you need to either add custom rewrite rule or try to find the plugin that does the job for you.

You should try to check the following articles that may help you:
=> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17505881/wordpress-username-referral-in-url
=> hidden link
=> https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/256872/rewrite-user-profile-url-to-be-human-friendly

You can also hire or take help from a pro URL rewrite expert.

My issue is mostly resolved now.
Minesh was very helpful and I can move forward with my project now.
Thank you!

Jeff Safire

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.