Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Need conditional display of distance

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

I want to display distance in search results with the new [toolset-maps-distance] shortcode using the url parameter from the search and the address field from the results.

Solution:

You use shortcode [wpv-conditional] shortcode to check if the distance shortcode's value isn't empty, then display the content, for example:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/need-conditional-display-of-distance/#post-1151132

Relevant Documentation:

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/conditional-html-output-in-views/using-shortcodes-in-conditions/

This support ticket is created 5 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by scottL-3 5 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I want to display distance in search results with the new [toolset-maps-distance] shortcode using the url parameter from the search and the address field from the results. I want to put the unit after the distance value but I don't want the unit to show if there is no value which is true for all results before a search is performed.

In other words, if I add this to the marker and / or search result template:
<small>Approximately [toolset-maps-distance-value origin_source='url_param' postmeta='wpcf-partner-location-address' unit='mi'] miles</small><br>

I do not want to see:
Approximately miles<br>

when the search hasn't been performed yet.

An idea: what if the [toolset-maps-distance-value] shortcode took parameters for a prefix and suffix? Or, what if it had a closing [/toolset-maps-distance-value] and anything between the open and close only shows if a value is returned? Or, of course, what if I could test the value in the normal conditional? Maybe this is possible but has to be manually entered?

Any tips appreciated. I really cannot use this great new feature until I can conditionally control some text around it.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I tried to use the normal conditional display but it doesn't seem to have the maps-distance-value available to use.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
Not that I know of.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Hello,

I suggest you use shortcode [wpv-conditional] shortcode to check if the distance shortcode's value isn't empty, then display the content, for example:

[wpv-conditional if = "('[toolset-maps-distance-value origin_source='url_param' postmeta='wpcf-partner-location-address' unit='mi']' NE '')"]
<small>Approximately [toolset-maps-distance-value origin_source='url_param' postmeta='wpcf-partner-location-address' unit='mi'] miles</small><br>
[/wpv-conditional]

More help:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/conditional-html-output-in-views/using-shortcodes-in-conditions/

Hi Luo, I tried this myself and with the code you sent (with the entities replaced with single quotes) and it doesn't seem to work. I think the nested single quotes are supposed to work since the documentation show similar examples but in this case it isn't working. I know the expression evaluates to a non-blank value since it shows the number of miles when I use it without the conditional. Any reason wpv-conditional if wouldn't support this new shortcode yet?

Thanks for the feedback, you are right, it is a new shortcode of Toolset map plugin, you can try this:
Dashboard-> Toolset-> Settings-> Front-end Content
in section "Third-party shortcode arguments", add the shortcode name: toolset-maps-distance-value

And test again, please test it and check if it is fixed in your website, thanks

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.