Skip Navigation

[Resolved] My Toolset Debug Info is empty

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: My Toolset debug information is empty. The problem occurs when I activate my child theme.

Solution: The problem seems to be related to the character encoding of the ü – that is, a "u" with an umlaut – in the author's name in style.css. The problem can be resolved by saving a new version of the CSS file in a standard text editor with UTF-8 encoding. If any other Users have a similar issue, feel free to create a new ticket and include a link to this ticket as reference.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

For another ticket I wanted to give my Debug Troubleshooting Info to you.
But the field is empty.

From my testing - it seems to have to do with my Travel Ultimate Child Theme.
When using the main theme, the debug screen works - only my Child Themes keeps the debug code from showing.

Is it possible to set my next message to private so I can send you my functions.php code for verification?

Hi, yes please zip up your entire child theme so I can install it locally on my own environment and try to reproduce this issue. You can post the child theme zip archive to Dropbox or Drive or some other reputable file sharing service and provide a download link in your next reply. All URLs you share in the forum are obscured for your privacy so only you and our support team will be able to see the full URL. I will install the parent theme from the Theme Palace site and try to install your child theme with that, then I'll give you some feedback.

Hi Christian,

this is the child theme, and the Main theme.

hidden link

Strange, it seems to have something to do with the encoding and character format of the style.css file, specifically the author name:

Author: Michael Müller

If I delete that umlaut and resave the style.css file locally, I am able to see debug information appear. I'm not sure but it seems to be a character encoding issue. I'm asking my 2nd tier support team to take a closer look, and I'll let you know what I find out.

Changing my credentials (User) did not change the output of the debug window though.

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 9.00.11 AM.png

Changing my credentials (User) did not change the output of the debug window though.
Sure, that makes perfect sense because the problem has nothing to do with User profile information. The problem is a text / character encoding issue. The debug panel includes information about the current theme, so it must read your child theme's style.css file to get that information. The umlaut character in style.css triggers the problem. I'm attaching a screenshot here illustrating the problem and the temporary solution.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

Hello again, I wanted to provide another update here. We found out that resaving the style.css file with UTF-8 encoding solves the problem. If you continue to experience problems feel free to open a new ticket here so we can discuss other options.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.