Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Multiple Locations for the same person? Best Way to do it?

This support ticket is created 3 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.09 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I am brand new to your plug in, and trying to figure out the best practice to set this up.
I have a membership directory of photographers. They will be entering their profile information on the front end. In addition to knowing their specialty ie: cars, beauty, fashion etc, which I can do with a category, I need to know what in what geographical areas they are able to photograph. For example: photographer 1 covers London, England, Buenos Aires, Argentina and New York, NY.

Other members only will have access to the database to search for photographers based on their locations. So they would do a search by typing in London, and expect to see photographer 1's profile as well as on the map with all of the other London Photographers. But then, if they want to see who can shoot in Buenos Aires, Argentina, they would redo their location search and photographer 1, again should come up with all of the Buenos Aires photographers.

We will not be collecting street addresses, just cities, states and countries. And then I am not sure how the information would get to the map.
I want to avoid having them make a separate profile for each location.
What do you suggest?

Is there any documentation that you are following? Not yet

Is there a similar example that we can see?
This website is very similar: hidden link, but only lists 1 location per photographer. I could have a home city, state, country as a primary location, but still need to show the other locations that they work in. Think of it like they have offices in those other cities - but no street addresses

What is the link to your site?
It isn't built yet, I am just starting and planning the data structure.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Toolset Maps leverages Google Maps or Microsoft Azure Maps features, it does not handle location on a country, city, or state base. The locations are managed using coordinates and full addresses. Toolset Maps offers a distance filter, so you can filter for users or posts that are within a circle(center+radius). Check this article https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-address-fields-work-in-cred-forms/

Toolset does offer the possibility to make a field repeating, so you can have multiple addresses for the same user or post. Check this screenshot hidden link

If you need to build custom searches and relationships for users, you will need to model the users in a custom post type. Check this article on how to do that.
https://toolset.com/documentation/legacy-features/views-plugin/how-to-create-custom-searches-and-relationships-for-users/

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey Jamal. Thanks so much for your reply. I understand now that I need full addresses. BUT, I wont have them. I will only have cities, states and countries. Is there anything you can think of that is a work around?

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+00:00)

You can still use the city name in the Toolset Maps address field. Check this screenshot hidden link
It won't be a complete address with a street number for example, but it will be a valid address value from Toolset Maps' perspective. I believe that Google Maps or Azure Maps will provide the coordinates of the center of the city.

Otherwise, you can use a hierarchical taxonomy where the first level items are the countries, the second level are the states and the third level are the cities. But, that may have limitations, for example, you will need to review what users submit and correct it if they entered wrong values for them. So, you may want to let the user creates posts that are still pending review from an administrator before publishing them.

Or you may use some custom code to query Google or Azure API, get the country, state, and city from it. And then creating those as taxonomy terms if they don't exist, and assigning them to the user, to be able to query using them later. Check this example hidden link

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.