Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Multiple line text fields and WYSIWYG Fields

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Is it possible to convert a Multi-line text field into a WYSIWYG text field?

Solution:
No, this is not possible due to the different Data Structure.
It's also not possible to convert an Existing WYSIWYG to another kind of Field.

This support ticket is created 7 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Author

Hi there. Many thanks for your time.

I have a few questions about these Field Types, which I think are probably best addressed together. I have searched the documentation and forums and can't find answers, sorry.

Question 1
Is it not possible to convert a Multi-line text field into a WYSIWYG text field? It is greyed out currently. So when Types takes over control of fields from other systems, where those fields are WYSIWYG and therefore the content has a lot of styling, that styling remains but the formatting buttons are gone. So is there any way at all to convert a Multi-line text field into a WYSIWYG text field?

Question 2
Is it possible to have a field display as multi line (without formatting options) on the CRED from on the front end, but with formatting options (as a WYSIWYG field) in wp-admin?

Question 3
Is it possible to display a WYSIWYG form on the front end with CRED but to limit the formatting buttons available on the front end to only the BOLD and ITALICS fields? If not, is there any other way to limit formatting options available on the front end CRED form?

Thanks again for your time, I hope you're able to clear these things up for me.

Very best wishes,
Andrew

Exactly what I am looking for, too.
This thread form 2011 does not work for me, as am not allowed to open
wp-admin/admin.php?page=wpcf-custom-fields-control even though I am admin.

• https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-to-convert-multiple-lines-fields-into-whsiwyg/
  • Thanks for any help also from my side,
    Boris

1. Is it not possible to convert a Multi-line text field into a WYSIWYG text field?

No, this is not possible due to the different Data Structure.
    It's also not possible to convert an Existing WYSIWYG to another kind of Field.

2. Is it possible to have a field display as multi line (without formatting options) on the CRED from on the front end, but with formatting options (as a WYSIWYG field) in wp-admin?

No, this is not possible.
    These are 2 completely different Kind of Fields, and cannot be displayed once as this, once as that.
    This is due to the way how the data has to be stored and processed.

3. Is it possible to display a WYSIWYG form on the front end with CRED but to limit the formatting buttons available on the front end to only the BOLD and ITALICS fields? If not, is there any other way to limit formatting options available on the front end CRED form?

You could apply some Custom Code and filter the Toolbar, but this is something I cannot assist with since the WYSIWYG is a field provided by TinyMCE and that is a native, WordPress delivered Editor.

4. This thread form 2011 does not work for me, as am not allowed to open
    wp-admin/admin.php?page=wpcf-custom-fields-control even though I am admin.

Even if you were allowed to open it (which you should), you could still not change a MultiLine to a WYSIWYG.

The Post Fields Control Screen can be reached under Toolset > Post Fields > Post Field Control > lick on the button.
    This is the direct Access URL:

wp-admin/admin.php?page=types-field-control&domain=posts

Thanks Beda, that really helps. I will look more into formatting of the TinyMCE Editor, thank you for pointing me to that.

I have marked this issue as resolved.

Best wishes,
    Andrew

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.