Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Migrating from old many to many to new one

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Can we migrate from old many to many relationships to new, real many to many relationships?

Solution:
Yes.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/2018/05/when-if-to-migrate-relationships-in-old-toolset-sites/

This support ticket is created 5 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices.

Last updated by ROTOTOM 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

This morning Amir answered a comment in this post https://toolset.com/2018/05/when-if-to-migrate-relationships-in-old-toolset-sites/ explaining us how to migrate the old relations to new ones. He told us we will need to

1. Turn the two parent/child relationships into one m2m
2. Move the connections data
3. Update your Views to query with the new m2m relationships

The also told us that you can help you with step (2), which may involve a lot of data, with a small dedicated script.

Regarding the point number 2 ("Move the connections data") we'll really appreciate your help. This migration is very critical to us and we have to do it on a website that is already online, so if you can help writing a dedicated script it would be awesome. We suppose that in the first place you'll need to study how the relations are built at the moment in our website. What do you need exactly to do so and start working on the script? We can give you all kinds of access to our website (wordpress backoffice, FTP, database), just tell us what you need.

Also, after seeing how our relations are currently set up, can you explain better the first point ("Turn the two parent/child relationships into one m2m") and how this will affect the website? Is this what the migration tool in the plugin does? Or do we have to manually change the relationships in the "custom post types" panel? Furthermore, we suppose that after the first point we will "lose" the original relations connection data, and the dedicated script will rebuild them as the new m2m. Is it right?

Thank you

Hi, I will shortly query with the Developers what they exactly need, and eventually, I will be back here and ask for a Copy of your site, hence if you already have this ready, feel free to add it to your next (private) reply

As soon I have feedback, I will let you know here how we will proceed.

Thank you!

Hi Beda, We have an issue similar to the one below, but with multiple (4) many-to-many relationships using intermediate tables. Can we piggyback onto this solution/script? Should I create a separate support thread? Thank you

Our issue too: https://toolset.com/2018/05/when-if-to-migrate-relationships-in-old-toolset-sites/

Hello... how can I give you the duplicator copy of our site?

I got some news for this.

When you have an (or several) existing sites with "many to many" legacy relationships (which are actually two one-to-many relationships), and run the migration wizard, you still remain with 2 one-to-many relationships and cannot take advantage of the full updates.

We are going to produce an update to the Toolset Types plugin, rather than producing a script.

If you want to update these relationships to the new Many To Many relationships, you should
- perform the migration
- manually create the "Many To Many" relationship(s) in the admin
- run a batch update that will be available in the GUI (This is the update we will provide in Toolset Types)
- manually update the affected Forms and Views, which will no longer work

The ETA for this update could be a couple of weeks, we cannot state a precise ETA.

For those that need this quickly, we can provide you with a Beta copy without having to wait for our QC and usual pre-release processes.
Please add your voice here in case you require such a copy.
(We will share it as soon it's ready).

Sounds good. We will wait for the update and skip the beta release. Thank you.

We also will wait for the update and skip the beta release. Thank you.

OK Guys, if anyone wants to follow just comment, I will keep you in the loop here too 🙂

Following. We are also using the legacy many-to-many method on existing websites and would love to get rid of those extra intermediary post types and migrate to the new direct many-to-many post relationships as well. Thank you!

Following. We are using the legacy many-to-many method too. I ran the migrations on a staging site, and while the front end views kept working, the backend edit screens become pretty unusable, because you can no longer see the title of the post that the intermediary post is connecting to. We're excited about getting rid of the intermediary post types.

I am interested in the beta script if you have it. I'm also curious if you think your ETA on the non-beta script is before or after July 1. Thanks!

I have asked the status of this internally and will update here.

Yep I would need this feature too as we have existing many to many relationship that needs converting.

Following, any update on this issue will be appreciated!

any update??

Not yet.

I queried with the Developers about the plans, for now, it's scheduled for Types 3.1 but that can change, and I cannot state any ETA on any release version.

I elaborated the importance of this to the Developers, but I also want to elaborate to you that this is a new feature to be implemented and has less priorities than Bugs that we need to fix in the new release.

This is why we cannot release this immediately now, but need first to solve the numerous bugs in the new release.

I will as well update you here all in case I have any kind of news.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.