Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Membership access, allowing multiple roles (memberships) per user

This support ticket is created 7 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by henrikG 7 years ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi this is just a friendly request.

Last year in october I posted a question about allowing multiple user roles to a user within access.

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-can-i-add-a-user-account-to-a-custom-role-in-access/#post-447780

A membership site needs to be able to grant access to posts belonging to a membership, and a user can get multiple memberships, which actually creates the need to be able to apply multiple roles to a user.

This is not possible in Access. But is this on the TODO list?

Until then I will have to continue to use a dedicated membership plugin.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Unfortunately our plugin doesn't have this functionality but I was able to stumble upon the plugin below.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/multiple-roles/

Could you try this and let me know the results.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane.

I know Access does not support multiple roles / user. Thats why I created the friendly request 🙂

You have a tutorial on wp-types website:

https://toolset.com/learn/create-membership-site-wordpress-using-toolset-plugins/

But in order to be able to build a real membership site, you need to be able to apply a "right" to a user upon purchase of a specific product.

And if you use Access you can only control access by linking a user role to a content group. But this is too limited to really being able to use Access for a membership site.

Because a user can purchase product a, b and c.

Each product grants him rights to a specific membership which in access terminology is a user role.

But since multiple user roles are not possible in Access, you can't have a granulated access / membership configuration with Toolset Access.

So really it is a feature request in order to be able to build membership sites where a user can have multiple memberships.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Henrik,

Thank you for the clarity.

I've checked on our request system and this has already been requested however there is no ETA to when this will be available .

Thanks,
Shane

Hope to see it soon then, because it is limiting the usage of Access.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.