Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Media library is empty when trying to insert media into VIEW

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
All media uploaded to a View (Add Media) are present in the View Media, but media added to the default WordPress Media library is not

Solution:
It's expected.

In Views, Custom Templates and WordPress Archives edit screens, you can only insert multimedia files attached to the current View, Custom Templates or WordPress Archives being edited.

The reason is portability.

A Views object is not a regular post, but a template, and it is supposed to be exported, imported and even shared.

As templates, they must be complete on their own, which means that when exporting them they must contain each and every component they show.

When exporting Views objects, we do also export their attachments, and we do import and adjust them when they are imported.

If we were using attachments from outside their own (from WP Media Library as example), we would not be able to keep that closeness.

This is that way by design, and it is not planned to change this due to above reasons.

This support ticket is created 7 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by gaborG 7 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Beda.

Author
Media inserting view.jpg
Actual media library.jpg

When I edit the TEMPLATE FOR THIS VIEW section in a view, and I click the Media button, I see an empty media library, even though my media library is filled with images.
When I try to insert a media into the LOOP OUTPUT or the FILTER sections, the only 2 items visible are the pagination left and right button images what I uploaded there and not directly from the media library.

The same thing occurs on the website on a server, and on another website in my computer's localhost.

I don't actually have to use this feature, I just came across this problem and I wanted to let you guys know.

Thank you for contacting us here in the Support Forum

And actually thank you for reminding me of this issue.

I stumbled upon this some time ago (pre-View 1.10) in a private Project, and was not sure if that is expected or not, and fully neglected to consult our DEV team in regard.

I fully agree that this Media Screen should hook into the WP Default Media Library, also because if you upload images via Views Media screen, those are correctly appearing in the WP Default Media library.

I will now report this straight away and update you here ASAP with news-

Thank you for your patience.

I apologize the delay here

I have received feedback from our DEV Team in regard:

In Views, Custom Templates and WordPress Archives edit screens, you can only insert multimedia files attached to the current View, Custom Templates or WordPress Archives being edited.

The reason is portability.

A Views object is not a regular post, but a template, and it is supposed to be exported, imported and even shared.

As templates, they must be complete on their own, which means that when exporting them they must contain each and every component they show.

When exporting Views objects, we do also export their attachments, and we do import and adjust them when they are imported.

If we were using attachments from outside their own (from WP Media Library as example), we would not be able to keep that closeness.

This is that way by design, and it is not planned to change this due to above reasons.

I apologize any inconvenience this might cause.

Please do not hesitate to open a new thread if other issues or problems arise

Thank you for your patience.

It's okay. 🙂