Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Many to Many relationship, with fields for more information pertaining.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 4 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi there

I'm trying to work out the best way to do this.

I'm making a website that links true crime, to the podcast episodes they are on.

I thought I could make two custom posts, one for the CRIME, and one for the PODCAST.
I could then have a CRIME link to a PODCAST as it appears on it.

But, I want to have the PODCAST listed with the episode number the CRIME appears on, as well as links to the iTunes/Spotify streams so people can click on them.

So you would go to the CRIME CPT, add a PODCAST to it, but then be able to specify extra information.

Am I thinking about this the right way? I'm unsure if it makes sense!

Many thanks

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

You're thinking on the right lines and for what you're planning to achieve, you can add two separate custom post types, i.e. CRIME PODCAST.

The post types can then be connected through a many-to-many post relationship.
( ref: https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/ )

To store the extra information like episode number with each connection made between a crime and a podcast, you can turn on the "intermediary post" option, during registering this post relationship and it will give you option to add custom fields, as needed too.

As a result, whenever a new connection will be made, a new post entry will be added into that intermediary post type too and then you'll be able to fill in the episode number (or any defined custom field data) with that.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.