Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Make text fields click-able to post URL

This support ticket is created 3 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author
Skærmbillede-2021-03-09-kl.-15.50.56.jpg

Hi there,

On my site: hidden link

I have a view with a grid (3 columns) and i would like to make the whole column click-able and link to the Post URL. I made the title and image clickable but the rest of the fields i don't know how to make click-able. Is it possible to just make the entire column link to the Post URL?

Thanks

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I assume that you are building the view with the blocks editor, right?
In that case, you can put all the elements inside a container block and configure the block to act like a link. Make the link use a dynamic source and pull it for the post URL.

Note that you can't have links inside of links. If you make the container act as a link, you need to remove the links from the Title and the image. I am pretty sure Blocks will remove the links on the rendered page.

If you need to keep the link on the title and the image. Then do not make the container a link. Add a custom class to the container. Then target this class with CSS to make the cursor to be a pointer. Check these articles:
- hidden link
- hidden link
Then add Javascript code that will listen for a click event on the container and will navigate to the post URL.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Christian,

I think the container solution will be enough but i can not seem to remove the URLs from the image and title and when i activate the link for the container it is not working.

I tried deactivating the dynamic soruce for the text and the link setting for the image but they are still there. And the rest of the text is still not click-able so i assume that the container link is not working when you can still only click on title and image.

Hi Christian,

Did you recieve my last message? My toolset is acting a little weird.

Jamal
Supporter

My apologies for the late reply, but I do not work on Wednesdays and Thursdays as you can see on my profile page https://toolset.com/forums/users/jamal-b/

Would you allow me temporary access to check it closely? Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **

Jamal
Supporter

I would say, it was just a cache issue. I cleared the cache then updated the view again and it worked as expected. The whole container acts as a link now. Can you check from your side and confirm that.

Hi Jamal,

Yes it works thanks - but is it possible to change the layout of the text so it is not blue and underlined? I took a look at the container settings but I could not find any settings for the link text.

Jamal
Supporter

You are right, there are no link styles on the container block. But you can still choose the text color as you can see in this screenshot hidden link
For the underline, I added a class(my-class) to the container and added the following custom CSS to the view to remove the underline:

a.my-class{
  text-decoration: none;
}

Note that the single fields inside the container have their own styling, that's why they appear in blue. You can customize each one of them to get the color that you want, or you can override their styles using a custom CSS.

Hi Jamal,

Thanks so much it works!

Jamal
Supporter

Awesome. I marked this ticket as resolved. You can still reopen it within 12hours. You can always open a new ticket if needed.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.