Skip Navigation

[Resolved] List posts by the author of the parent post

This support ticket is created 5 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by timM-9 5 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Hi!

I'm trying to build a view in a view as described here in point 2: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/limit-access-to-child-and-parent-authors/

I want to make a view with posts that can only be viewed by the author of the parent post. I made a parent view that lists the posts of the logged in user, but I don't understand how I can add that to the child view.

The topic above says "Select related posts that are a child to the Post set by parent View." but I do not seem to have that option.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 3.57.12 PM.png

I made a parent view that lists the posts of the logged in user, but I don't understand how I can add that to the child view.
I believe you have it backwards. You should insert the View of child posts inside the View of parent posts.

The topic above says "Select related posts that are a child to the Post set by parent View." but I do not seem to have that option.
In the View editor, look for the Query Filter panel. If you cannot see the Query Filter panel, scroll to the top right corner of the screen and click the tab "Screen Options". You can enable the Query Filter panel here. Then add a Post Relationship filter in the Query Filter panel, and you will see some options like the screenshot attached.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I still don't know how I create a nested view to do this. I've go two views:

- The view that lists the logged in users (parent) posts
- The view that lists the child posts (in this case private reservations)

The goal is to make a view with posts that can only be viewed by the author of the parent post. How can I let these two views work together to achieve this goal?

Thanks.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Tim,

As Christian is currently on vacation I will be handling this ticket.

I see that you are trying to do a nested view to list out your child posts.

For more information on nesting your views you can take a look at the link below.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/using-a-child-view-in-a-taxonomy-view-layout/#user-view-with-a-post-view-for-a-child

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thanks, it's a lot clearer now. But somehow I still don't have the option to select posts that are a child to the Post set by parent View.

What it should be: hidden link
What I have: hidden link

Thanks,
Tim

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Tim,

Would you mind providing me with admin access so that I can check on this for you ?

Also please let me know which view you are having the issue with.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

Thanks, I figured it out!

I made a view that lists the pages of the current logged in user, and put a view that lists the private reservations by the current post in the loop inside the loop of the first view. Somehow I was thinking about something completely different.

Thanks for the great support. 🙂

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.