Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Limit the possible choices on Radio buttons

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
I want to suggest a new feature for Toolset. Where and how can I do that? How to add my voice to the request(s) discussed in the below thread?

Solution:
You can suggest, and upvote (add your voice to, request as well) new features for Toolset here:
https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

Toolset's Product Management receives a notification and accordingly evaluates and plans features for Toolset.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jesperK 5 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

A feature for the radio buttons so that they can be limited to an amount of submitted values.

f.ex. a radio field with 4 times:

Time slots before form submission:
choice 1 = 9-10 -> 4 available spots
choice 2 = 10-11 -> 4 available spots
choice 3 = 12-13 -> 4 available spots
choice 4 = 13-14 -> 4 available spots

Now "User 1" selects time 10-11 pm

Time slots after form submission:
choice 1 = 9-10 -> 4 available spots
choice 2 = 10-11 -> 3 available spots
choice 3 = 12-13 -> 4 available spots
choice 4 = 13-14 -> 4 available spots

I understand that you want to limit, hence also modify, a field (radio) according to certain entries in your database.

I think, this is subject to custom code or/and using several features and tools together.

A Custom Field that natively does this, would require several queries (which you need whether or not you'd use custom code/inbuilt feature), with the potential of slowing down a site remarkably.
Additionally, the GUI to set such conditions (how many spots, by how much the decrease should be, etc), is asking for a totally new approach and settings that are not present as such yet in Toolset, and not planned.

Here, in this case, I would rather recommend working with Post Relationships because there you would have possibilities to connect each post uniquely for example and never re-use it, or limit it's possible connections to a certain amount and more.

To get assistance with this, you can ask in our Forum for help (in a separate Ticket)

I have filed the request, for now, to be upvoted, and I generalized it a little:
https://toolset.com/feature-request/?wpv_post_search=Create+a+Dynamic+Options+Field+where+the+options+listen%2C+and+depend+upon+already+stored+data&wpv_sort_orderby=post_date&wpv_sort_orderby_as=string&wpv_view_count=686737
https://toolset.com/feature-request/create-a-dynamic-options-field-where-the-options-listen-and-depend-upon-already-stored-data/
Please let me know if it matches your request.

Thank you Beda for you qualified reply and I wish that there will be some backing for this feature.
Not so likely but one can always hope 🙂
I found this addon to gravity forms might be used as inspiration:
hidden link

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.