Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Limit number of options visible in search dropdown box (taxonomy) & scroll list

This support ticket is created 5 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by bartB 5 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I have a view that allows users to search for listings by location (taxonomy). The list is large so I only want the dropdown box to show 4 options at a time but allow the user to scroll through all available choices (or type "F" to jump to "FL-Orlando"

I've tried everything I could find. The closest I've gotten is using the following code from:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8788245/how-can-i-limit-the-visible-options-in-an-html-select-dropdown

<select name="select1" onmousedown="if(this.options.length>3){this.size=3;}" onchange='this.size=0;' onblur="this.size=0;">
<option value="1">This is select number 1</option>
<option value="2">This is select number 2</option>
<option value="3">This is select number 3</option>
<option value="4">This is select number 4</option>
<option value="5">This is select number 5</option>
<option value="6">This is select number 6</option>
<option value="7">This is select number 7</option>
<option value="8">This is select number 8</option>
<option value="9">This is select number 9</option>
<option value="10">This is select number 10</option>
<option value="11">This is select number 11</option>
<option value="12">This is select number 12</option>
</select>

The code works and renders what I want with the dummy information listed. I can't find a way to fit:
[wpv-control-post-taxonomy taxonomy="market" type="select" url_param="wpv-market"]
into the code so that it picks up my taxonomy values (NY-Buffalo)

My site is hidden link

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Well - do you mean that you are adding taxonomy filter using views as dropdown select and you want to change it to select2 (auto-suggest) list?

If yes:
could you please share access details so I can check what I can do there.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Well - what if you try to add following code to your current theme's functions.php file:

function enqueue_chosen_jquery() {
    wp_register_style( 'custom_chosencss', '<em><u>hidden link</u></em>', false, '1.1.0', 'all' );
    wp_register_script( 'custom_chosenjs', '<em><u>hidden link</u></em>', array( 'jquery' ), '1.1.0', true );
    wp_enqueue_style( 'custom_chosencss' );
    wp_enqueue_script( 'custom_chosenjs' );
    }
add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'enqueue_chosen_jquery' );

And I already added following code to your view's filter JS section:

jQuery(document).ready(function($){
   $(".chosen-select").chosen({
    no_results_text: "No items found!",
    max_selected_options: 5
   });
});

Could you please try and check how it goes.

dropdown box.JPG

That definitely limits the vertical size of the box but it stays "open" with 10 options visible after a selection is made (see pic). How do I reduce the box back to its original size (1 line) after a selection is made?

Thanks!! This is so much better than what it was showing before!

Minesh
Supporter

Could you please check now: hidden link

We implemented the chosen select - so it will allow you to type in the text box and it will auto-suggest the related options.

That's exactly what I needed. Expectation exceeded!

My issue is resolved now. Thank you 🙂

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.