Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Let user edit template info only in front end

This support ticket is created 3 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 3 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

Hi there,
On our page the user creates a camp purely from frontend forms. When they have created their camp a custom template is automatically made with their information in it and they can see their camp under "My Account". I would like if it was possible for them to edit their camp-information in the template IN THE FRONTEND. At NO POINT the user should access the backend. Is it possible to give the users an edit function under "my account" that makes it possible for them to edit the specific camp within the template but without editing the layout of the template?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

I think you mean you want the users to be able to edit their posts from the front-end, no?

That is described in the following documentation, please check that, but if you mean something else please clarify.

https://toolset.com/course-lesson/front-end-forms-for-editing-content/

Hi Nigel,

Yes this is what I want and I followed the guide BUT when I enter the shortcode in the content template to create the edit button, the link is not working and no link text is showing. The content is the one with "final" in it - can you please log in and make it work? Everything else is working fine but the actual link text and visibility of the edit link text.

I want the link text to say

"Rediger din camp"

Thanks

And also - is it possible to add a function that makes it possible for the host to change the visibility of the post from Public to "hidden"?

With covid-19 still around it might be a very needed feature if the host is not sure if the camp will be able to take place.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Mai,

Lets stick to one question per ticket for now and resolve the problems one by one.

Regarding the issue of you are not able to add the edit link.
Can you please share problem URL where you want to add the Edit link as well as access details.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Yes - It seems you forget to share where you are trying to display the Edit link, where you are trying to add it?

hi Minesh,

Sorry for the late reply. So i would like it to appear on these pages for the logged in host:

1) By the camps on the hosts profile: hidden link

2) By the camps in the view on the presentation page we set up for the specific sport: hidden link

Let me know if you need anything else from me.

Minesh
Supporter

Thank you for sharing those links but I still do not find where exactly you added the Edit link.

- What form you want to edit?
- Where exactly you added the edit link using Toolset form's shortcode?

Skærmbillede-2020-10-25-kl.-10.08.46.jpg
Skærmbillede 2020-10-25 kl. 10.05.46.png

hi Minesh,

As I am trying to tell you, you are NOT able to see the Edit button at all right now because it is not showing up even though the shortcode is included like you show in your guide. Please see attached screenshots. I followed your guide step by step but I get a weird result where the shortcode isn't working like it should. Please login and take a look for yourself.

The end goal is to make the edit button show up on these 2 pages when a host is logged in:

2) By the camps in the view on the presentation page we set up for the specific sport: hidden link

Minesh
Supporter

Lets fix the issue one by one.

==>
Do you mean that with the above page, within the section "MINE CAMPS" that lists the camp posts, you want to display the Edit link with each camp item?

Hi there,

Sorry about the late reply. But yes exactly 🙂

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Minesh is on vacation, so, if you don't mind, I'll continue with you on this ticket.

I turned out that the content template "Host - edit your camp" was having two post forms inside of it:
- Host - edit your camp
- Host - edit your product
After removing the second form from the content template the link has appeared. Check this screenshot hidden link

I hope this helps. Let me know if you still need assistance with this.

Hi there,

Ah okay I see. But when I enter the edit form I can not edit the price and the number of tickets available - that is why I made 2 post forms - 1 for the basic info and 1 for the product part. How do we solve this?

Also a minor detail ( the sidebar should of course be disabled on the edit page )

Thanks.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

From what I gathered so far, Products are linked to Camps in a One-to-many relationship. Please correct me if I am wrong, you want to allow the camp authors to create the linked products or edit them from the frontend, right?

Currently, a Toolset Form can only create or edit ONE post. So, you won't be able to update the linked products' information from the same Camp form. You will need to create separate forms and put them in separate content templates. For example, after editing a camp redirect the user to the camp single page, and conditionally display the form(s) to edit the linked products using a view and a form inside of it.

Regarding the sidebar, it seems that the "The7" theme allows you to enable/disable the sidebar only for Pages and Posts, from the configuration page (Theme Options->Sidebar). I'll suggest contacting the theme's support and asking how can we disable the sidebar for a custom post type(Camps).

However, for support rules, we are able to handle only one issue at a time. This helps us to bring you a better service and also helps other users to find all the information here exposed. For that reason, I have to kindly ask you to open a new thread if you need further assistance with creating/editing products that are linked to a camp. In the meantime, check the following articles on how to create a product from the frontend, and how to create a child product from the parent product page.
- https://toolset.com/course-lesson/creating-front-end-forms-for-adding-woocommerce-products/
- https://toolset.com/course-lesson/selecting-parent-posts-when-using-forms-to-create-child-items/

Ans some similar tickets:
- https://toolset.com/forums/topic/add-a-child-post-from-parent-content-template-using-a-form-to-create-the-child/
- https://toolset.com/forums/topic/knowing-which-is-the-post_parent-of-the-attached-file/

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.