Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Issues with multiple staging subdomain license key activation.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Vane 4 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi,

I have a Toolset license for unlimited sites.
I want to use Toolset on a staging website, but the key can not be validated.
I use different license keys for:
samedomain.com
staging1.samedomain.com
and I want to use Toolset also on
staging2.samedomain.com,
but I can't activate the new key registered at Toolset Dashboard ( here at toolset.com ).

I had license key issues on staging1 after creating staging2, so I have a feeling there might be some subdomain restrictions in Toolset licensing.

Thank you!

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

It is important to note that each generated key, can be used only on a single installation, whose URL was used to generate it.
( the "WordPress Address" URL from WP Admin -> Settings -> General should match the "Site URL" that was used to generate the key )

To activate the registration on each staging or production website's installation, you'll need to generate a new key. It doesn't matter if the new install is at a domain level ( e.g. domain.com ), sub-domain level ( e.g. staging1.domain.com ) or sub-folder level ( e.g. domain.com/staging1 ).

Here is a useful guide on the topic:
https://toolset.com/faq/how-to-install-and-register-toolset/#registering-toolset-in-a-development-environment

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance around this.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,

I'm sorry but this is obvious, as I described in my original post, I (try to) use different keys for subdomains, so pls. spare our time and pay more attention to it...

EDIT:
this issue also happens with WPML licensing.

Pls. read this also, this might add more info to the issue:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/staging-copy-issues/

Thank you!

Waqar
Supporter

Hi,

Thanks for writing back and for sharing further details.

The reply from your host (Siteground) explains why you're not able to activate the Toolset registration on their staging tool.

The standard behavior of a WordPress install and production/staging website workflow is that on a new location, the base URL is updated accordingly. This means that if my production website is at "domain.com" and my staging website is at "staging.domain.com", then my staging website's base URL will also be changed to "staging.domain.com". When the changes are pushed back to the production website, the involved URLs are updated to match the base URL at the production website ( i.e. domain.com ).

But the staging tool at Siteground uses an unconventional approach and it maintains the shadow copy of the production website at the staging level, without updating the base URL, which is why Toolset's registration feature and other features from more plugins which rely on the base URL will not work with it.

In this case, I'm afraid, you'll have to manually install or upgrade your Toolset plugins on the staging environment if the host provides you FTP access or file manager tool access for it.

regards,
Waqar

Hi Waqar,

pls. note I'm working with staging sites, with Toolset and WPML, mostly with the same plugins and settings for years, at the same hosting company and it was not an issue earlier and it is not an issue for any other premium theme or plugin (licensed),
so maybe how SG creates staging copies is (at least one of) the conventional way?

I can obviously update via FTP, no problem, but I have other issues, tickets here, which might be related.

Regards

Waqar
Supporter

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the update.

If the registration of Toolset and WPML plugins used to work on the staging websites from Siteground earlier and has stopped working recently, I can pass on these details to the concerned team for further review.

However, I'll need confirmation of some points first, to make sure we fully understand each other:
( you can reply with simple yes and no )

1. Toolset and WPML registration/activation works as expected on Siteground's production websites.

2. Toolset and WPML registration/activation doesn't work on Siteground's staging websites.

3. This registration/activation used to work previously on Siteground's staging websites too.

4. You've confirmed from the Siteground's team that there hasn't been any recent change in how their staging tool works and it has always been like as it is now.
( referring to their message in your reply at https://toolset.com/forums/topic/staging-copy-issues/#post-1411657 )

I'll be able to report this internally, based on your answers.

regards,
Waqar

Sites_WPML_191218.png
Sites_Toolset_191218.png

Hi Waqar,

Re:
1. Toolset and WPML registration/activation works as expected on Siteground's production websites.
yes

2. Toolset and WPML registration/activation doesn't work on Siteground's staging websites.
It works on one, but not on second, pls. check screenshot.

3. This registration/activation used to work previously on Siteground's staging websites too.
Months ago I worked on websites with multiple staging copies ( naming convention: stagingx subdomain; x is a number ),
with Toolset and WPML, with similar settings, same other plugins, same security settings, etc.
They all worked.
I'm not sure, but that time I think I should not have to register every each staging subdomain distinctly...

4. Waiting for their response. I suppose they will confirm which MIGHT BE true... 🙂

Thank you

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing these details and I'll wait to hear back from you on point 4.

Meanwhile, would it be possible for you to share temporary admin login details for any staging website where Toolset key activation doesn't work?
( it would help if WordPress debugging is also turned on - ref: https://wordpress.org/support/article/debugging-in-wordpress/ )

I've set your next reply as private and please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.