Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Issue when adding multiple images into a repeatable image field

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Repeating image fields are not cropped or displayed correctly in wp-admin.

Solution: Update to the latest version of Types to get the fix for this issue.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by catherineR-2 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
img3.jpg
img2.jpg
img1.jpg

Hi,

I created a custom post and attached a custom field group to it, with only a repeatable image field in it.

When I edit a post of this custom type, and add multiple images to the repeatable image field, there appears to be a bug in how the images are displayed in the admin area.

Sometimes it displays normally (see image 1.jpg), but then sometimes instead of displaying a small thumbnail, it seems to be displaying the full sized image for all selected images (see images 2.jpg and 3.jpg)

Once a post gets that display issue, whenever I add new images they all are shown at full size in the admin area.

Can you let me know how to fix this, or if it's a known issue, when it will be addressed?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm not aware of any open known issues related to this feature, but there were several updates made to the repeating image field interface in a recent release so it could be something that has not been discovered yet.

https://toolset.com/known-issues/

Please try these troubleshooting steps first:
- Update to the latest version of WordPress
- Clear your browser cache, then refresh the page in wp-admin to test again.
- Activate a default theme like Twenty Nineteen, deactivate all plugins except Types and Views, then test again. If the problem is resolved, reactivate your theme and other plugins one by one until the problem returns. If the problem is not resolved, I'll need to take a closer look.

Please let me know what you find out by running these tests and we can continue from there.

Hi, thanks for your response. We switched the theme, then deactivated plugins one by one and the issue persisted.

We tracked it to down to only happening when the custom post type is set to use the Classic Editor (either through Toolset when editing the custom post type, or via the wp filter: use_block_editor_for_post_type).

When the post is set to use the Block Editor, the issue goes away.

When the post type is set to use the classic editor, and when adding some images (not all images), the thumbnails expand beyond 150px.

If, when looking at a post edit screen, I edit the img class in Chrome as a test, setting its max-width to 150, the issue goes away.

We really need to disable the block editor on some custom posts, so hopefully you are able to replicate this and provide a fix.

Thanks.

I'm not able to replicate it consistently on a site I created from scratch, but I can sometimes get it to break on another site. I can't really pin down what is triggering the problem yet. Is it possible for me to log into your site's wp-admin area and use the Duplicator plugin to create a site clone? I will be able to run more tests locally without modifying your live site. If that is okay, please provide login credentials in the private reply fields here.

Hi, can you provide the basic HTTP authentication as well? I'm not able to access the login page without it.

Having some trouble testing for a couple of reasons.
1. I can't deactivate all the plugins and also see the problem. The post types seem to be created by the plugins, so that's a bit of a challenge.
2. I need your uploads folder zipped up and posted somewhere I can download it separately. My duplicator software doesn't handle such large sites very well, so the uploads folder is excluded. In order to test the media library effectively, I'll need your uploads folder contents.

Hi, the plugins don't create the posts, but I left off "show_in_menu" for all the post types since we add menus for them ourselves.

I'll try creating a copy of our other site that also has the issue (but has a much smaller media library), then deactivate all the plugins and send you the login info for that one.

thanks.

OK thank you

Hi,

I copied one of our testing sites and deleted all plugins except Toolset Views, and switched the theme to TwentySeventeen and the the issue is there.

Can you request the login again so I can privately enter the wp-admin login here?

Thanks!

Sure, here are the private reply fields.

Hi, I'm not having much luck here. Moving around a 1GB database isn't really practical, and most of my duplication tools fail to produce a valid clone to share with my 2nd tier team. I'll keep this one on my radar and try to work on it when I can.

Hi. Thanks for the update. It's a copy of an old testing site, with a lot of unnecessary stuff, so I'll try cleaning out unused images and data.

When we had migrated over from our old host to this one (the data was about the same size as it is now) we used the blogvault plugin and it managed to copy over everything. It copies directly over sftp, so if you want to try that I can set up a sftp login.

Okay thanks, I tried eliminating a few million records from wp_postmeta but ended up causing some errors so I didn't have much luck so far.

Hi,

I started from scratch and pared-down everything and got a Duplicator package ready. You can log in and download it when you need it.

I had removed all images from the media library, except some old samples installed from a page builder, and even with those images the issue is there on the test post under GF Image Groups.

thanks!

Perfect, thanks! I'm able to escalate this now and I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for your help.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.