Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Custom field query filter not working after Toolset update

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have a custom search View that filters by a custom field value. After updating Toolset, the View does not show results after filtering.

Solution: Recreate the front-end filter controls and Query Filters.

This support ticket is created 3 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by attilaL-2 3 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 13.33.34.png
Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 13.33.49.png
Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 13.34.49.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Hi, we have an subpage on piatnik.hu, where you can query the videos. The videos have categories (
hidden link ) When you choose a category (in grey box) befor the Toolset update the videos of the category appeared but now it doesn't happen. It only shows "No videos matched your search". Maybe we should change the html description of the loop Toolset / view / videos / Loop editor? I'm sending 3 pictures about this issue.
Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 8.55.51 AM.png

Hello, I think the problem is in the link URLs, not in the loop of the View. It seems that the buttons are links to URLs like this:
Szabályismertető: hidden link
Bemutató – Review: hidden link
Kidobozolás – Unboxing: hidden link

My guess is that these URLs are incorrect somehow, but I would need to see more information to be sure. Can you take a screenshot of the Query Filters panel in your View editor? Please open the video-kategoria filter and take a screenshot showing the settings. If you cannot see the Query Filter panel, please scroll to the top right corner and click "Screen Options" to open the Query Filter panel.

Next, please tell me the slug and the id of the video-kategoria term Szabályismertető. You should be able to find the slug for this term in wp-admin > Videos > Video Kategoria. When you click or hover over the term, you should see the tag_ID appear in the link URL. Screenshot attached here.

Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 15.15.50.png
Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 15.28.21.png

Hi, I find the first Panel, but other panel I don't ( Videos/Videokategoria ). I make a picture of the Toolset / Custom Fields / Jatek videó / Edit Group. Sorry but I didn't make the website I just took over and I don't really understand the Toolset.

Okay no problem. It looks like the View in your screenshot does not have any post types selected in the Content Selection area, and that is causing problems in the View. I'm not sure if you're editing the correct View...It might be easiest for me to log in and take a look at the wp-admin area. I will try to figure out what is happening and give you some feedback. Please provide login credentials in the private reply fields here, and I will get started.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 9.04.51 AM.png

This is what I see at the admin URL. It seems that there is an IP- or location-based restriction in effect for this site, and I'm unable to see the login form. I'm in USA. Is it possible to configure the restriction temporarily to allow US-based visitors? Or can you disable the restriction temporarily?

You're right, I turned off the protection, you can enter in about 15 minutes......I hope!

query-filter.png

Okay thanks, I was able to log in and take a closer look. It seems that this View displays a repeatable field group (RFG) - Videók Játékhoz. This RFG is set up in a field group called Játék videó (embed), and you can see it here:
hidden link
This RFG includes a custom field Videó kategória, and the front-end filter is set up to filter by this custom field. I thought Videó kategória was a custom taxonomy, but I see now it is a custom field. This makes sense now, and I can see that the filter button/link URLs are actually correct like this:
Szabályismertető: hidden link
Bemutató – Review: hidden link
Kidobozolás – Unboxing: hidden link
So I see no problem with the URLs now, these seem accurate.

In the View editor, I see a Post Relationship Query Filter:
hidden link
See query-filter.png

This filter may be unnecessary. It seems this View should show all the RFG entries from all Products, and allow the User to filter by the Videó kategória custom field. Is that correct? Or should the View only show RFGs from one specific Product?
- If the View should show all RFGs from all Products, then you must delete the post relationship Query Filter in the View editor.
- If the View should show only RFGs from one specific product, then you must select a specific product in the Query Filter settings.

Thanks, We’ll try to throw it out tomorrow because we’ve worked too much on the site today and we don’t want to lose them with the site restore if there’s a problem.

Okay I understand. I will stand by for your update tomorrow, thanks!

Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 15.45.32.png

Thank you for your patience. I deleted the relationship Query Filter in the View editor, but the category query not improved. My question is why this problem occurred after the "Toolset Layout" update? The settings have not changed on our site. The development didn't include any extra parts that might conflict with our old settings?

I'm not exactly sure what happened here or the full history of this site, so it is difficult to say. It seems that I have corrected the problem by recreating the custom field filter. Somehow the filter settings and the filter controls had become out of sync. I'm not exactly sure how this would have happened, so I deleted the custom field Query Filter and also deleted the hidden custom field filter from the Search and Pagination panel here:
hidden link

Then, I recreated the Views custom field filter controls in the Search and Pagination panel. I adjusted the URL parameter to match the ?video-kategoria parameter used in your site's custom filter "buttons". This recreated the Query Filter settings as well, and now they seem to be in sync. Can you confirm?

I noticed you have quite a few results on the main page now: hidden link

You might consider adding pagination to this View to help performance and load times.

Perfect, thank you very much! Like I said I’m a graphic designer and whoever developed the site unfortunately disappeared 2 years ago. We’ve talked to 8 web developers already, but so far we haven’t found anyone who can use the Toolset. Can't you recommend someone from Hungary who is a good professional? Thank you in advance for your help!

Okay great. We have a couple of links available where you might be able to contact an independent contractor who understands Toolset:
https://toolset.com/contractors
https://codeable.io/developers/toolset/

I don't know of a specific contractor in Hungary, but you may be able to find one close to you using these resources.

Thanks again for your help !

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.