Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Is it Possible to Add Placeholder Text/Default Label to [wpv-filter-search-box]

This support ticket is created 8 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices.

Last updated by Joe H. 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Luo Yang.

Author

Hi Woody, Sorry for the mistake please go to this location in the plugin folder:

/wp-views/embedded/inc/wpv-shortcodes.php and locate line 3783 and place: placeholder="whatever text you want" as per the code snippet below. Sorry again as was looking through so many files before finding the one I needed 🙂

return '<input type="text" placeholder="whatever text you want" name="wpv_post_search" ' . $value . ' class="js-wpv-filter-trigger-delayed'.  $class . '"'. $style .' />';

Thanks mate... really appreciate it.

Have you tried using "different" field types for this? i.e. - input type = "textfield", "select", etc?

I will likely give it a go as the placeholder styling for forms is something many clients are requesting.

Thanks again.

Woody

Styling the placeholder is the easy bit, if you don't already know here are the standard css style names for the placeholder:

::-webkit-input-placeholder {
   color: red;
}

:-moz-placeholder { /* Firefox 18- */
}

::-moz-placeholder {  /* Firefox 19+ */
}

:-ms-input-placeholder {  
}

and by placing the input class or id before each of the styles will allow you to target that specific input.

🙂

placeholder.png

Sorry, but I cant find return

return '<input type="text" placeholder="whatever text you want" name="wpv_post_search" ' . $value . ' class="js-wpv-filter-trigger-delayed'.  $class . '"'. $style .' />';

in
/wp-views/embedded/inc/wpv-shortcodes.php
line 3783 ,
and to put the custom place holder

Found it now is on 5834 row.
Thanks to all.

As of this date its now on row 7173.
Mostly just posting here so I can find it again 🙂 Well, and for others who may be looking...