Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Infinite scroll load more button

This support ticket is created 5 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by jasonH-5 5 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to: Add a "Load More..." button to the bottom of a lists of news posts, which when clicked - and only when clicked - should load an additional 3 posts.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: The first 4 posts - then click on the "Load More..." button to load the next 3 posts.

Instead, I got: The first 4 posts - then when I scroll to the very bottom of the page, the next 3 posts are automatically loaded without having clicked on the "Load More..." button.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Chris

Where is this Load More button coming from?

We have a feature request to add this to Views but at the moment we have infinite scroll or manual pagination.

It sounds like you have set up infinite scroll.

https://toolset.com/feature-request/add-an-ajax-manual-pagination-effect-load-more/

Hi Nigel,

I'm using the method recommended by Luo in a previous thread (https://toolset.com/forums/topic/load-more-button-3/).

I've set up a view with infinite scroll and inserted the next page link shortcode between [/wpv-items-found] and [wpv-no-items-found] in the Loop Editor.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Chris

I've been trying the same and not getting it to work, either.

The tolerance setting doesn't appear to make any difference.

I need to do some more testing and I'll get back to you.

Nigel
Supporter

I couldn't get it to work—changing the tolerance setting appears to have no effect—and so I've had to escalate this so that my colleagues can investigate further.

I'll let you know what they find.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Chris

The developer replied that the hack suggested by Luo isn't expected to work. You can use the tolerance setting to trigger the update earlier, but there is a backstop to ensure that an update occurs when reaching the end of the current View results that will be triggered even if you use negative values for the tolerance.

So, all I can do I'm afraid is to use this thread as another vote for the existing Load More feature request.

Ok, thanks for taking the time to look at the issue.

Any update on when this feature will be added? There are requests for this dating back a few years. Infinite scroll is bad practice as the user will not be able to get to the footer and Google is now paying attention to sites with this added and no what to turn it off and on.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.