Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Incompatibility with "Advanced Excerpt" Plugin

This support ticket is created 7 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Tia 7 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Tia.

Author

I am trying to: Create an Archive Layout. I want to only show an excerpt of the archive item, but the excerpt feature of the layout strips formatting and doesn't look as good, so I pulled in a plugin to give me a prettier excerpt (https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-excerpt/). With that, I use the wpv-post-body shortcode.

I visited this URL: hidden link

I expected to see: Each item with an excerpt formatted from the plugin.

Instead, I got: the same content repeated. Note, on that page, the content of the actual Announcement-type posts is very different. This feature does work correctly without the plugin, so it is an incompatibility, but I need to be able to get the end result, and this is the only way I could find.

Tia

Thank you for contacting Toolset Support. I am happy to help you with this.

Let me repeat your set up & issue on my end and I will return shortly with feedback.

Tia

Do you mind if I login and take a look at your set up?

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will request to duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/privacy-security-providing-debug-information-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

Tia

Thank you for that information. I am looking into the issue and will respond shortly after investigating.

Tia

I was able to make progress using the [wpv-post-excerpt] tag except Advanced Excerpt settings are not taking over. To confirm this is an incompatibility and continue debugging, I would like to replicate your site locally.

For this I will need to temporarily install a plugin called "Duplicator" (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content.

Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site.

Do I have your permission to move forward with Duplicator?

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before confirming.

You may install that plugin and duplicate the site for debugging purposes.

HOWEVER, you changed the shortcode being used in your testing. The shortcode I need to be able to use these together is [wpv-post-body], NOT [wpv-post-excerpt]. The latter returns an entirely unformatted excerpt which is not acceptable for what I'm doing. The problem is that the [wpv-post-body] (which returns the nicely formatted excerpt using that plugin) returns the most recent post's content for every item on the archive page.

Thanks!

Tia

I figured it might not be the correct shortcode. I was merely suggesting [wpv-post-excerpt] did in fact allow the correct content to show. I will continue debugging with [wpv-post-body].

I am duplicating the site and will continue debugging locally. I will update you with feedback as soon as possible.

Tia

Just a quick update to let you know I am still debugging on my end. Thank you for your patience.

Tia

Thank you for your patience. This issue should now be resolved. It was resolved by suppressing the filters that bring up the excerpt.

[wpv-post-body view_template='None' suppress_filters='true']

Please let me know if this resolves the issue or if it needs more investigation.

Hi Tia -

Thanks for working on this. That just makes it possible to see the entire body. The whole reason I added that plugin is so I could clip the body and have a formatted excerpt on this page. If y'all add a feature to clip the body at n words or characters, it would make this a non-issue, but, until then, I need to use these together.

Thanks!

Tia

If y'all add a feature to clip the body at n words or characters, it would make this a non-issue, but, until then, I need to use these together.

Understandable and thank you for bringing that up. Let me look into this further and try to provide you with a solution from our end.

Tia

Please see Toolset > WordPress Archives > Archive for Announcements

[wpv-post-excerpt length='100' count='word'] was added. Is this what you are looking for?

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/views-shortcodes/#wpv-post-excerpt

That still doesn't work because the excerpt is unformatted. I need to excerpt to show all the formatting, etc., in the original post. That's why I was using post body.

Tia

Understood. I am consulting with my team on this. Please standby.

Tia

The solution to this is going to be on the WordPress end. The reason for not allowing formatting in the excerpt is because it actually breaks HTML. For instance, if the HTML opening tag is cut off in the excerpt it actually creates the rest of the page to be formatted like that HTML open tag.

Furthermore it can also interfere with Toolset, other plugins and the rest of the page display.

Please see:
https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/the_excerpt/

----------------

An auto-generated excerpt will also have all shortcodes and tags removed. It is trimmed down to a word-boundary and the default length is 55 words.

----------------

Therefore it is highly recommended that you do not display the excerpt or a trimmed down version of the body with post formatting.

However, if you still need this there are solutions outside of Toolset.

Here is one example that goes into detail:
http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/141125/allow-html-in-excerpt

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.