Skip Navigation

[Resolved] In WP-Admin I am unable to search a CPT list using a displayed custom field.

This support ticket is created 7 years, 3 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 7 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 10.30.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-19 at 10.30.24 AM.png

In WP-Admin, I can't find custom posts entering terms appearing in a displayed custom field. The WP-Search function is ignoring WP-Types custom fields.

How do I get WP to search for custom posts in the back end and also search the custom fields that I have added to the list.

See images.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Its actually not possible unless you extend the wordpress default search functionality to search through custom fields as well.

Have a look at the link below as it should be able to guide you through extending the default wordpress functionality to search through custom fields as well.

hidden link

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

This needs to be addressed in Toolset's core functionality. Right now I can't search custom posts by any value in any custom field. Not OK.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Patrick,

As this is NOT a core functionality of wordpress itself then we wouldn't be able to add it.

Wordpress must first support the searching of custom fields from the backend in order for this to be achieved.

Currently only hacks or modifications to the wordpress search queries are available to get this to work since it is not a default functionality.

This search field allows you to only search by Post Title or Post ID, if you try searching a post status e.g "published" or any other search criteria, you will notice that this won't work.

Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.