Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Improve UI / UX of Create Post Forms of multiselect (flat) taxonomy cred fields

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Some requests about Toolset Forms taxonomy auxiliary field.

Solution:

According to our workflow, it needs a feature request, you can add the request here:

https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

Relevant Documentation:

0% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created 4 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Vane 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Hi,

Nigel and Minesh worked on this site recently, so I prefer them, they know the site and case well.
Toolset (Nigel) still has admin access to this site, added in topic:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/get-parent-post-id-for-a-create-form-post-form/
You can check my form in question after logging in, checking and clicking any Brand or Brand Post's "Create a New Post" link.

I think it is rather difficult for a user to figure out how to do it, how to get info about ALL their Context options.

I try to set it up by tweaking argument values according to this:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/front-end-forms/cred-shortcodes/#cred_field

I'd like to improve the following:
- help users get to know all the possible Context (flat custom taxonomy) values they can select from ( 20+ ).
There is an argument: type,
where we only know one possible value: "show_popular", that shows what it means: the popular values of Context.
I tested:

[cred_field field='context' force_type='taxonomy' output='bootstrap' class='form-control' placeholder="You can add more..."]
[cred_field field="context_popular" taxonomy="context" type="show_popular"]

where I modified it to:
type="show_all"
but that doesn't work, doesn't show all possible context values.

- Also, I added:
placeholder="You can add more..."
to make it more clear for them what they can do, but it is not displayed.
In docs it's written:
"placeholder. Optional. Text to be used as a placeholder (HTML5) for text fields. Defaults to none."
So 'placehoder' work only with text fields. In my case also would be useful.

- My 3rd improvement idea is to set "Show Popular" Context area shown by default: it may be more helpful, more intuitive for unexperienced users.

- 4th is: "Show Popular" is above "Add" button (at least optionally). It makes more sense for me that way...

Not necessarily all issues above should be solved, so first let's solve the easier ones, it might be good enough improvement.

Generally, pls. Toolset, modify, improve docs (like one linked above), by adding ALL possible field argument values with short explanations.
For example 'taxonomy', 'type', etc. misses that.

Thank you!

Hello,

Q1) type="show_all" ...
There isn't "show_all" attribute value, the "types" attribute supports two values:
- show_popular
It works same as when you edit post in admin side using classic editor:
Used by taxonomy auxiliary fields (like show_popular) to signify which type of functionality it provides
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/front-end-forms/cred-shortcodes/#cred_field
- add_new
It will output the add new input buttons + box, for example:
[cred_field field="context" taxonomy="context" type="add_new"]

Q2) placeholder="You can add more..."
Please edit your post form, in section "Messages", find option "Taxonomy show popular message", change it to what you want.

Q3) set "Show Popular" Context area shown by default
Same as Q1), This is default mode when you edit post in admin side using classic editor, the taxonomy auxiliary fields are hidden by default.
You might consider custom CSS codes, for example:

div.shmpt-context{
display:block !important;
}

Q4) "Show Popular" is above "Add" button (at least optionally)
Same as above, this is default mode when you edit post in admin side using classic editor.
You just need to change the codes manually, for example:

[cred_field field="context_popular" taxonomy="context" type="show_popular"]
[cred_field field='context' force_type='taxonomy' output='bootstrap' class='form-control']

Hi,

Q1)
I know there's no such: show_all" attribute value, but I think there should be (or some similar, with this meaning), it is an obvious ( first or second most frequent) use case.
(BTW a more sophisticated solution would be a conditional display based on a threshold number:
eg. if you have more option values than threshold (say 6), than "show_popular",
if it is threshold or below, than "show_all")
You guys, Toolset pros know the correct terminology and usage, but we don't, we work based on docs. But the terminology "taxonomy auxiliary field" and possible argument values (and maybe their meanings) might not be clear for most of us and
this is why I asked for improving the related doc page, because that is the place where the shortcodes, their arguments and all their possible values must be clarified for us.
So pls. consider to add
type="show_all"
argument option, because I think it would be a much more used value than the 'add_new" on frontend, in a form which is used mainly by non-admin users and I would not allow non-admins to use add_new on frontend in most cases.

Q2)
OK, thanks

Q3) "Show Popular" Context area
I'm not sure we understand each other well.
I honestly don't care how does it work on backend for admins,
I care how I want to set it up for non-admins on frontend:
I hope we agree it is more foolproof if I show those most popular taxonomy values by default.
It looks basically being an accordion element, so all I'd like to be shown by default instead of being hidden.
I prefer not to use custom CSS, especially with !important tag, for basic accordion setup.

Q4)
Numbering the 3 sections of that field:
1: Context text input
2: Add button
3: Show Popular accordion

my most recent (default Toolset) shortcode creates order of 1-2-3,
your suggestion creates: 3-1-2,
but what I want is: 1-3-2

But we can skip this #4, this is the least important, and I suppose the most difficult to solve.

Thank you

Q1) As I mentioned above, Toolset Forms plugin is trying to simulate the same behavier as WordPress admin side, so there isn't such kind of built-in attribute "show_all", according to our workflow, it needs a feature request, you can add the request here:
https://toolset.com/home/contact-us/suggest-a-new-feature-for-toolset/

Q3) and Q4) Same as above, you are asking some not-built-in features, please add the feature request.

🙁

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.