Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Import taxonomies and terms

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to import taxonomies and terms.

Solution: Toolset can help you create a taxonomy or import a taxonomy from another site, but it sounds like you want to be able to import taxonomy terms. Importing terms isn't something Toolset is designed to help with. Toolset is capable of importing structures, like post types or custom taxonomies, but not content like posts or terms. A third-party tool is required to import content, as stated in these User Guides:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-importexport-types-structures/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/import-csv-ultimate-csv-importer-plugin/

0% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created 6 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 6 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Hi,

I im trying to import taxonomies

I created 4 taxonomies
tax 1
tax 2
etc

Now i want to import 4 lists
list 1 for tax 1
etc

The lists are a bit long to manualy added them. More over these custom taxonomies are going to be used by A. posts, B. custom post types, C. woocommerce products and D. memberships. Manualy adding them is a big task but also for future purposes changing the taxonomies requires to change (manualy?) them in A.B.C. and D....

My work arround is to create a custom taxonomy in Toolset and add it to a standard wordpress post.
Import the taxonomy list for posts
Change the settings of the taxonomy for that taxonomy list in Toolset "Post Types settings to be used by this Taxonomy" to be used by A.B.C.and D"

My work arround stranded since i could not find a method of importing a taxonomy list in the custom taxonomies of Toolset.

I used the standard wp importer.
I tried 3 different importer plugins. None of them worked (for me)
I tried the toolset importer functionallity (.xml) I could not get it to work
I tried module manager as suggested in your support forums but that will not allow importing a taxonomie list.

Please advise with a detailed "How to"

Thank you in advance,

Manualy adding them is a big task but also for future purposes changing the taxonomies requires to change (manualy?) them in A.B.C. and D....
I'm not sure I understand, sorry. Can you explain in more detail why it is required to change taxonomies in multiple post types? What specific changes are you talking about?

I tried the toolset importer functionallity (.xml) I could not get it to work
Can you share a link where I can download the XML document you were working with?

Hi Chris,

Manualy adding them is a big task but also for future purposes changing the taxonomies requires to change (manualy?) them in A.B.C. and D....
I'm not sure I understand, sorry. Can you explain in more detail why it is required to change taxonomies in multiple post types? What specific changes are you talking about?

As I expained I want 4 types of taxonomies (Expertise, Experience, Employabilities and Languages, I want to attached them to several post types (custom post type (Profile Page of Vendors), posts, woocommerce vendors products, woocommerce bookable products. I mentioned I the first part is how to import the lists. The second part is for future purposes it is hard to manage taxonomies fore each post type as they will change over time.

First I want to import the 4 taxonomies but do not know how
Second I would like to know if my suggested work arround is a good way of working :

....My work arround is to create (import) a custom taxonomy in Toolset and add it to a standard wordpress post.
Import the taxonomy list for posts
Change the settings of the taxonomy for that taxonomy list in Toolset "Post Types settings to be used by this Taxonomy" to be used by A.B.C.and D" ....

Sorry but I could not create a xml file for the taxonomies. Do you have an example?

Thank you in advance for your consideration

First I want to import the 4 taxonomies but do not know how
Toolset can help you create a taxonomy or import a taxonomy from another site, but it sounds like you want to be able to import taxonomy terms. Importing terms isn't something Toolset is designed to help with. Toolset is capable of importing structures, like post types or custom taxonomies, but not content like posts or terms. A third-party tool is required to import content, as stated in these User Guides:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-importexport-types-structures/
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/import-csv-ultimate-csv-importer-plugin/
The second link provides a guide for importing content, including terms, using the Pro version of Ultimate CSV Importer.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.