Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Import post content

This support ticket is created 3 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I have custom 63 posts from an old site using a very old version of Toolset. Can you recommend a way I can import these over? Some custom field names may have changed slightly so ideally I would need to change this as part of the export/import.

Many thanks

Hello, normally I would take an approach like this:
- In the existing site, go to Toolset > Export / Import and export your Types data. This will include the configurations for all custom post types, all custom fields, and all custom taxonomies. Expand the archive and open the XML document in a text editor program. Edit the XML file to adjust the custom field names/slugs as desired. I wouldn't try changing field types, only the names/slugs. Now in the new site, import the Types data in Toolset > Export/Import. Your custom fields should appear in the Field Group editor, along with any custom post type information in the post types editor. This process does NOT export/import post content, only the Types information about post type, fields, etc.

To export post content, you can use WordPress's free built-in export/import tools, but they do not make it easy to manipulate custom field names/slugs after export. That process would require a fair amount of XML changes depending on the amount of content in your site. A paid plugin like WP All Import Pro / WP All Export Pro would make this process much simpler, because you can export your post content as CSV format, then map exported CSV columns to specific custom fields in the new site using their import wizard.
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/how-to-import-data-from-a-csv-file-using-the-wp-all-import-toolset-types-add-on-plugin/

Let me know if you have specific questions about this.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.